where does FJ cruiser manual t-case come from? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
Does anyone know what other vehicles share the VF4B transfer case with the manual tranny FJ cruiser? I'm wondering if this is some kind of accidental bonus Toyota is throwing our way because they could not make the part time t-case work with the manual (or maybe they put the part time in the auto to offset the cost of the auto tranny?)? This manual t-case seems like something more in keeping with landcruiser prado/GX470 origins than 4runner.

I was looking at the specs that Beno located here
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=944341#post944341

the manual FJ will have a VF4B full time 4wd transfer case with a torsen LSD central diff and a central diff locker plus the rear locker is standard in canada. you can lock the central diff in high or low using the transfer case shifter positions. That is pretty cool. The manual FJ is only one front locker and a live front axle shy of 80 capabilities and arguably has a better fulltime 4WD system than the 80 especially if you factor in the TRAC. It compares well to the early 100s with the rear locker option and I'd personally take this selectable set up over the later 100 series ATRAC.

now you can't buy a full time 4wd Tundra or Tacoma, and you can only get a fulltime 4wd in a 4runner with a V8 automatic and I'm assuming that is not the same t-case or at least wondering why you can't get an fulltime 4WD V6 4runner if that's the case. So does this t case come from the GX470/prado? maybe from somewhere in the world where the prado is sold as a manual?

getting much more interested in the FJ. definitely the best deal going on a new offroad vehicle if you can handle the styling. Talked to a dealer today about availability.

I'm pretty sure that the tranny is from the V6 Prado sold in Oz. The V6 petrol Prado is available with a 6-speed, full-time, manual transmission, with Torsen LSD only when mated to the 4.0L V6. The gearing is the same so it must be the tranny.

Check out the brochure.

The Prado comes standard with a 180L from dual fuel tanks and has the option of a 4-cyl 3.0L TD. HMMMM.... I'm really starting to like the FJ, especially when ARB makes a front locker and OZ has an extra fuel tank.

I think the tranny comes from the Taco, and the Transfer case comes from the full time 4wd 4runner (V8 4r only maybe?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom