Where do your temperature and oil pressure gauge needles usually sit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My temp gauge needle has been reading a click or two above perfectly horizontal. Do we refer to perfectly horizontal as 3 o'clock or 90 degrees (heading, not temp)? To be precise, 5-6 clicks above the thick bar at Cold.
My oil pressure has beed reading a click or two below 3 0'clock/90 degrees.
This is for an '06 LX470 w/140k mile :princess: 100, coastal Los Angeles.

Not sure what's "normal", and as there's no numerical values on the gauge, I'm starting to wonder what's "normal". Can anyone recommend a simple obd2 plug-in/leave-in that will show oil and coolant temps on displays on your phone for real-time viewing?

P.S. in attached photo, engine is off, just included it to give an idea of its graduations in case diff years have diff gauges.

thumbnail.png

Your description of how the gauges are reading sound normal.

I recommend a "scangauge II" to more accurately monitor engine coolant temps. Lots of discussion on the forum about this.

Your description of how the gauges are reading sound normal.

I recommend a "scangauge II" to more accurately monitor engine coolant temps. Lots of discussion on the forum about this.
x2

X3
That temp gauge is normal for an ‘06. The earlier models, probably pre ‘03, will show correct temp to be a smidgen below horizontal. If it’s horizontal it’s hot.

The oil gauge for my ‘06 stays below half way. My ‘04 stays really low and that engine have never lost a drop of oil. So not sure why low reading is common. My earlier models usually read half way or higher.

My 06Lx:
• Coolant Temp - same as yours (mid way mark) aka 196°F on hot summer days on my OBD scanner.
• Oil Pressure - all the way down when on idle and go only up to 1/4 mark (highest) during mild/hard acceleration and cruising at 85mph.

I don't know if I ever posted this before, but after my reseal of front and rear main, oil pipe front and rear and both pans, my oil press is above 50% at all conditions, cold and higher RPMs it's around 70-75% of the gauge sweep.
I never lost oil either in the previous 5 years before and mine as always very low.
No adding, no dripping on the garage floor until the very end on the rear main.
No real significant volume gunked up in the plastic intake either.
After that it's assumptions on what really matters and oil flow directions and pressure spikes at certain spots.
Don't forget that makers set the gauges to read even or half when looking at them straight on.
volts, fuel at half, coolant temp, oil press. Tach and speed speed somewhat made to be vertical at a range somewhat consistant with a cruise speed or a normal range.
Take that along with low or high reading on the outside gauges is not normal and you could assume the same for the group.
As new all 4 corner gauges probably read even or Hz in a normal condition.
26k miles since reseal- I don't change oil weight in the LC. 6.5 years or so.
Just my opinions and thoughts.

I joke about the instrument panel cause one of my motors has a tick that is irritatingly loud. I accidently popped the needles off 4 of the gauges, it's never been the same.
I seem to be waiting until the combo meter prices reach stratosphere prices before I buy a new one. Yet there's a booster assembly sitting in a box. Yes, what's the world coming to.

My temp gauge reads almost exact middle, which is great since I replaced the radiator myself(200 miles and no problems yet!).

The pressure gauge, however, is reading absolute max since the sensor went out. I just check the oil before each drive but should probably fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom