Where do you start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope this question isn't too ridiculous. I sure could use some advice from the Mud forum on where to start a 40 project vehicle. I made a rather spontaneous purchase of a 1970 fj 40 from a mechanic down the road who was downsizing. Looks like a long project for me to tackle with my kids. What I know is the engine was replaced with a rebuilt 350 chevy and they did a power steering conversion. It lots of torque, rides likes a tank and stops eventually. Lots of surface rust but haven't found any soft spots or holes. So, should I first tackle the rust? Take the tub off, doors, hood etc - media blast, repair metal and repaint? While the top is off, coat the frame with Por 15. How else should I be thinking of this? A few pictures below.
tempImageHWjyrJ.jpg
tempImagetoZHcN.jpg
tempImageo5pUyX.jpg
tempImageRY4imX.jpg
tempImagezRzVxW.jpg

Very subjective to the owner, you.

Do you want a pure restoration ?
Do you want a restored FJ40 with the 350 modification ?
Do you want a trail rig ?
Do you want a running rig with minimum effort ?

These take you in different directions, but your choice.

After this decision, next steps to follow.

First off… wow that’s clean!!!!! Second. Start with Fluids. Replace all the fluids so you know they are good. Next get it stoping good. Then get it running good. Drive it around and create some memories (you’ll need them while it’s apart) Then if you still want to, tear it down. In my opinion that looks very rust free. You may not need to tear it apart! Just deal with the surface rust (plenty of threads here about that) and preserve it (also plenty of threads about that…)

Looks like a solid start. Get it running, stopping, and safe, check or change fluids. Mechanicals 1st. Get things working that dont currently. Most importantly drive it and enjoy it. A lot of 40s get blown apart and never to be reassemble. Its a big and expensive project that can take years. Obviously body and paint has been done to it in the past, you need to figure out how far you want to go. You may be able to work around the edges instead of blowing it apart. This group will walk you thru any problems that may come up with.

Looks like a very nice project. As stated, do all the regular maintenance, change all the fluids.

No turn signals or brake lights?

Brakes, disc/drum or drum/drum? Based on the rear doors, I assume all drum brakes. There is a lot of info on mud regarding drum brakes and bleeding (let the fun begin).

Do you plan to wheel it? Lift it?

Take lots of pictures on your journey.

I were mine, because it has a v8 and power steering already, I would make it a nice driver. If it needs drum brake work , you shoud look into 4 wheel disc brakes b4 spending $ on drums.

No spare tire carrier? Looks like the holes have been patched over and painted at some point. Have you gone over it with a magnet?

Does it have a dual circuit master yet? That is a worthwhile safety upgrade so you don't lose front and back brakes together. Mine just has an adapter bracket with no booster, stops fine with a little effort.

It has a V8 already so there is less pressure from the purists. That said, dont toss anything because things are hard to find. Did they convert the 3 speed from column shift to floor shift or put another trans in there?

If you have kids you may want to think about a roll bar, depends on you and what you are going to do with it. The previous owner put one in my 1970. A roll bar will interfere with your rear seats so you would have to do something there, I think a lot of guys put a bench seat in the back for kids. Im looking into later model jump seats, but several things are higher on the priority list before that.

"It lots of torque, rides likes a tank and stops eventually."

I would recommend getting the brakes fixed to were it stops on a dime. Then fluids, tune up if needed. Then before starting anything else drive it for awhile.
So many get a 40 then get into the restore / re-mod mode and never get to enjoy driving it because it is being worked on for several years. Get it safely on then road then tackle it a little at a time while still being able to drive it with the kids..

yep i agree. get it running make it safe and drive the crap out of it!! enjoy it and see if it’s something you want to restore eventually but for now just go love it

Start with a psychological evaluation, and a credit check. 😆

I agree with everyone else. Drive it for a bit, then develop a plan. Get the mechanical sorted. In my case, my drive line was a wreck, so that's all been gone through. For me, bodywork and paint will be the last thing after everything else is accomplished. Engine swap, power steering, possibly AC, stereo. I don't want to be poking holes to do something after paint. I'd rather have everything sorted and accounted for with experience rather than theory, instead of "taking care of it later". I don't have the experience of somebody who knows these vehicles nose to tail, and I'm half a tard to begin with.

Thanks for the kind responses and the encouragement. It really makes my day. I love the idea of addressing the brakes, changing fluids, simple rust prevention and having fun with it. There is a lot of wisdom here and I am very grateful for this resource. We will take it into the mountains on 4wd trails when we are good enough with the manual transmission or maybe change that out. My wife wants to drive it to work. For her it brings back memories of learning to drive on her grandfather’s truck.

my seized engine turned into an 8 year build that won’t be done for a few yet. sad not to be driving it. some days i wish i had taken a simpler approach. lots end up unfinished because of big dreams and plans. these take time and money. as much as i enjoy building it i do want to drive it before i’m too old to climb up into it!!

Just drive it.

Fix the brakes for sure.

Change the oil and all the gear box fluids.

A good detailed wash down, inside and out. Hosing down the inside, the floor, won't hurt anything if you dry up the water fast enough, use towels, get into the corners, get all that dirt out, make sure it's dry.

You'll enjoy a new dashpad far more than por-15 on the frame.

A little project here and there. Nothing that can't be completed in a week or less will keep kids more engaged than tearing the whole thing apart and taking years to worry every little detail trying to put it back together.

And that's really not a lot of rust for a '70 FJ40. The only thing in the pictures that looks like it might be a future problem is the floor by the back hatch, where the pin holds the door open. Wire brush and some krylon, or whatever matches the black texture on the rest of the floor. And wherever the rust stain under the doors is coming from (bottom inside of the doors probably).

If you can store inside and not drive in the rain it will last many more years as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom