Where do these plugs go? (wire harness) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ooohh, well it is certainly not there on mine :eek:

That exact unit is on the block on the drivers side. I checked SOR's schematics and it showed the unit on the drivers side block too :confused:

There is an "extra" wire on the drivers side harness that I assumed went to the sending unit. It wasn't hooked up when I bought the truck which I then assumed was why the oil pressure guage never registered any pressure. i know, lots of assumptions.

So Q is the unkown, maybe the PO just tapped into P to try and get 12v not realizing it is only 12v when the starter in engaged.

I will repair the rest of the harness and leave that alone until I can decided if it is not needed. Is there anything else I am missing on the passenger side that needs 12v power when the starter is engaged or should I pull it off?

I would like to see the pics of your harness coolerman and if it doesn't have that wire I will pitch it and repair P.

I'm no expert on engines but pretty sure all engines made from sometime late in 74 on had the oil filter on the passenger side. Sure you have a 76 engine?

Connect the extra wire you found to the oil pressure sender to see if you can get the gauge to work.

I'll post a link here in a few minutes to the pics of the 76 harness I have...

Thanks I would really like to see it! I may indeed not have a 76 engine :D this truck has obvious signs of previous violations but overall it is in pretty good shape. I am sure the engine has been out of it as there are remnants of other mounts welded to the frame. I suspect it had something else in it and someone put a 2F back in it. I will snoop around and see if I can find more info on it. Thanks for the help.

Kent

I'm no expert on engines but pretty sure all engines made from sometime late in 74 on had the oil filter on the passenger side. Sure you have a 76 engine?

Connect the extra wire you found to the oil pressure sender to see if you can get the gauge to work.

I'll post a link here in a few minutes to the pics of the 76 harness I have...

Thanks!

Looks like I have some splices that aren't shown in your harness, and that I am missing some!

Letter I in my pics show a black and yellow wire. Your pics show this same wire (has a round terminal on the end) with a small splice coming off it. Is that small splice the wire you are using on the oil pressure sending unit? If it is, I am not sure why it isn't present on mine. Trollhole says it goes to 12v +coil. Pic 3805 in your group is what I am referring to. Mine looks like that extra wire was removed and a new ring terminal was applied. Does it look like that may be my problem with the no pressure sending unit connection?

Specter shows the sending unit on the driver side engine block but I don't see where they specify the exact year(s). Someone may have pulled the sending unit from beneath the oil filter and put it on the block. I will have to look at the filter mount to see if it has a hole for that pressure sending unit.

FYI...

You can get a can of "liquid Insulation" from Eastwood to repair any breaks in the insulation you find. It is just like rubber paint and has a little brush in the cap for painting it on the wire. Supposed to be waterproof, I think...

I have seen that stuff and may find a use for it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom