where can you find a rear ice chest/cargo carrier like this for FJ40?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was curious where you might find a setup like one of these I have seen on a few Fj40 rigs. One fits into the hitch receiver, the other mounts on a swing-arm, but both are the same idea. expanded cargo storage when the rig is full. any ideas or is this stuff custom made?

index.php

MVC-0001.jpg

MAF offers a 4+ carrier that is similar. Here's a link to a recent thread on it:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50344

A few other companies like Slee, Hanna and 4x4Labs offer carriers as well. You will find most if not all use a dual pivot system rather than anything that uses the hitch. That is for two reasons.

First, anything that is hanging from the hitch is going to cut down on your angle of departure, which is something most wheelers are not wanting to compromise. Second, utilizing the hitch makes it less usable on a timely basis for it's primary purpose: pulling. A properly designed and attached hitch is going to be the BEST spot for attaching a winch cable or tow strap, should conditions require it.

Last edited:
Building a rack on cruiser was the reason I bought a used welder. One thing I found out though, I am a horrible welder ;p My welds look bad, but they do hold things together. Since I bought that welder, I have made, dismantled and remade three rear racks for my 40.

Coolest idea I've seen for a swb rig, my friend Chuck's custom fabbed cooler carrier
Image-739F08E9314311D9.jpg

you could convert a rear tire carrier as well. Depending on your year get the one for the opposite side. Check out Cruiser Outfitters site and look at Kurts FJ40. That is what I believe he did.

build one with all the bells and whistles you want for cheaper

petescoffee said:
you could convert a rear tire carrier as well. Depending on your year get the one for the opposite side. Check out Cruiser Outfitters site and look at Kurts FJ40. That is what I believe he did.

Yup :D

rubicon2.jpg

yeah, that is a cool one. so, if there is a swing arm for a spare on one side, just get one for the opposite and FAB a box. I was thinking of one with diamond plate that you could then put a lockable diamond plate top onto if you want to leave stuff in it for daily driving? maybe put a gasket on the lid for airtight seal.

wow, that looks nice kurt...like it a lot

malphrus

Building it is alot cheaper than buying. I think i spent $80 on the metal tubing. if and when i ever get time to finish it i found a place to power coat it for $40.

Kurt,

I checked your site but only found one more pic of the cooler rack. Do you have any closer, more detailed pics?

I already have a second tube style spare carrier mounted and its time to cut the spare mount off and I'm looking for good ideas like yours. Thanks

NICE RACK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom