where can i run a power wire on start and run only??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
set up for dual batteries the switch requires one wire to be attached
to a source of power that only has power during start and run. where would this be?\
it says not during accesory and i cant think of anything other then maybe the alternator?
its a dual battery set up by painless everythings ready to go except for that little detail.
also where did you guys ground your second battery?

thanks mike

I don't want to point out the obvious but did you read Christo's and George Scolaro's web write ups on this? Not trying to be a jerk but a little homework makes installations a lot easier.
Mike R

yes i have read both of these however there set up is quite different from mine. theres is wired through a marine switch mounted in the engine compartment when mine is mounted to a toggle switch mounted in the dash and will allow me to jump start the cruiser with ouyt getting out of the cruiser if the main batterie dies.

thanks mike

Mike,
You'll notice that on George and Christo's site, they mention of using the Alternator "CHARGE" fuse for an ignition switched circuit. That's what I'm using to feed my toggle switch to control the 200 amp relay, similar to your setup.

Ali

lx450landcruiser

The purpose of using the solenoid in both George’s and Christo’s setups is to join the two batteries together when for charging and the appropriate wiring sizing to support that. For heavy draw on the batteries as in starting or winching the marine switch is used that is rated to carry significantly higher currents. As I recall you are using a Painless or some other type of electronic setup. Just a word of caution that those systems may not survive the heavy current flows that occur when the a dead battery is hooked up to a fully charged battery for jumping. You would also need to disconnect an electronic unit from the circuit when you winch. Myself I won’t bother installing the switch as you’re not going to use it very much and I would always want to take a look under the hood for other potential problems when I need a jump. I look for broken wires, corroded connections, leaking or low fluid levels in the battery.

The last thought is if the main battery is dead is it going to do any good have a wire connected to it for activating your jumping circuit.

Let me clarify the switch thing - the jumping circuit is wired to the AUX battery. During "emerg on" mode, this is how the solenoid is switched. The IGN power is used to automatically activate the solenoid when the two position rocker switch is in "dual mode". Of course, you're back to the oem battery and factory charging mode when the switch is in the middle or "dual off" mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom