Where can I learn how to remove and clean my diesel fuel filter properly? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having some engine issues... I want to remove my fuel filter to clean it. How do i do this? and how to I put it back on properly and prime the fuel system?
cheers

What year/engine first off?
Do you have an FSM?

The diesel fuel filters, I’ve noticed, tends to be forgotten about so it can be difficult to remove it. Honestly I just find it easier to remove the entire primer pump mount with the filter and move it to a vice where I can remove it easier.

Take care not to damage the warning switch since it’s plastic. It’s just really spendy to replace.

New filter comes with the o-ring for that warning switch but you should replace the drain plug o-ring as well.

My time honoured method for a stuck on filter? Get a long flathead screwdriver, hammer that sucker right through the filter, and use the extra leverage to spin it off. Bit messy, but it works.

Do you have an FSM?

The diesel fuel filters, I’ve noticed, tends to be forgotten about so it can be difficult to remove it. Honestly I just find it easier to remove the entire primer pump mount with the filter and move it to a vice where I can remove it easier.

Take care not to damage the warning switch since it’s plastic. It’s just really spendy to replace.

New filter comes with the o-ring for that warning switch but you should replace the drain plug o-ring as well.
its 1995 1-HDFT, also I do not have a service manual.

Last edited:
Do you have an FSM?

Where can I acquire a service manual?

@NLXTACY has nailed the easiest way to change the filter. Just to make sure we're clear too, you can't clean the spin-on filters, you replace with a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom