Where can I get a refurb pcm/computer or have mine refurbed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In 2020/2021?

All parts listed online seem to be discontinued. Theres a scam site that has really(!) bad reviews but that's it. It looks like Cardone has discontinued parts numbers listed. I may give them a call and see if they'd reman my oem computer.

Obviously I could go to a $tealer$hip and pay 5000 usd for one. Where do they source theirs from?

Anybody know anybody reputable for this? I can't spend more than the truck is worth at the dealership and would have to salvage it.

In 2020/2021?

All parts listed online seem to be discontinued. Theres a scam site that has really(!) bad reviews but that's it. It looks like Cardone has discontinued parts numbers listed. I may give them a call and see if they'd reman my oem computer.

Obviously I could go to a $tealer$hip and pay 5000 usd for one. Where do they source theirs from?

Anybody know anybody reputable for this? I can't spend more than the truck is worth at the dealership and would have to salvage it.
What make, model, and year?
How about a used ECM?

What issues are you experiencing?

PM mud member slow95z he is parting out land cruisers all the time and I'm sure he can help you.

used is what I got. The issue turned out to be something else now I have a spare ECU which I'm never getting rid of. check the classifieds here, thats where I got mine. Ebay is a good source too.

96 fz

The problem is age (faulty capacitors) so anything used will have the same problems before long, if not already. May have no other choice than to keep getting used ones but I'd really like something with updated capacitors and soldering. They may be vin specific anyway?

My issues and procedure are exactly as written by this forum member. Plus other wonky electrical stuff that has gone unresolved after replacing damn near everything else.

I've also seen this solution in other older posts, and in other forums for vehicles of similar age. Last, Ive gone through this with other mid-90s vehicles

Last edited:
96 fz

The problem is age (faulty capacitors) so anything used will have the same problems before long, if not already. May have no other choice than to keep getting used ones but I'd really like something with updated capacitors and soldering. They may be vin specific anyway?

My issues and procedure are exactly as written by this forum member. Plus other wonky electrical stuff. I've also seen this solution in other older posts, and in other forums for vehicles of similar age

More than likely, your problem is the engine wiring harness that feeds the injectors across the top of the engine and it has melted where it turns next to the EGR near the back of the engine.

The ECU on the 95-97 series are not known to have issues, but the wiring harness is.

The thread you referenced is for a 3FE engine truck that operates very differently in terms of sensors, so the symptoms may appear similar, but the root cause is very different.

If you had a 93, then you could have had a bad ECU, as there was ONE year they had issues, but you don't.

More than likely, your problem is the engine wiring harness that feeds the injectors across the top of the engine and it has melted where it turns next to the EGR near the back of the engine.

The ECU on the 95-97 series are not known to have issues, but the wiring harness is.

The thread you referenced is for a 3FE engine truck that operates very differently in terms of sensors, so the symptoms may appear similar, but the root cause is very different.

If you had a 93, then you could have had a bad ECU, as there was ONE year they had issues, but you don't.

The faulty ecu was an issue for vehicles up to 2000ish. Actually fairly common, especially for Toyotas and other Japanese makes. Now that we're at 26 years old, vehicles beyond 93 models will be showing their age even more.

Repaired the harness once and checked it 3x more since. Its not the harness. If it were the harness, the entire length of it would have to be bad and require OEM replacement.

Well, get out the parts cannon and start shooting at it!

Negative. ECUs are not coded in any way to the VIN. OBD1 and OBD2 specific certainly.

Can anybody verify this? Have had to replace ECUs in other vehicles the same age and one of them did require vin info

Can anybody verify this? Have had to replace ECUs in other vehicles the same age and one of them did require vin info
The man that posted that to you is one of THE most knowledgeable on this forum.

Yes, he is absolutely correct.

Damn.

Well, get out the parts cannon and start shooting at it!

Haha just need to find a good computer. Everything else has been replaced and/or gone over. Sometimes twice.

Not spending any more money on this until the issue is resolved for cheap. If I cant find an ecu I sadly will have to junk it.

only ones i know of that had issues were the EARLY 93 but it was fixed mid year. i have ECUs for all US spec 80s

The man that posted that to you is one of THE most knowledgeable on this forum.

Yes, he is absolutely correct.

Damn.

"ECUs are not coded in any way to the VIN" is a highly suspect statement. Just wanted to verify. Why does that upset you?

Damn. Lol

unless the frame or cab is bent or the thing is rusted to hell and back they are almost always worth fixing.

unless the frame or cab is bent or the thing is rusted to hell and back they are almost always worth fixing.

It has some rust which I would happily cut out and replace if it were safe to drive.

Extreme misfire and intermittent power loss, very weird electrical issues, horrible exhaust smell, billowing clouds of rancid exhaust not just outside but now flooding the cab through the vents, etc etc

This will get skipped by many but the only things not replaced/repaired at this point are the injectors or IAC. A computer is a lot cheaper first try and I don't think anything else would cause the combination of issues.

1. Computer
2. Whole new oem harne$$
3. Injector$
4. Burnt valve/extreme blowby/needs rebuild

The last 3 must be done AFTER trying another computer. Especially with all the other elec stuff going on. (Cant reset airbags, lights working intermittently, etc etc etc)

Last edited:
well if you werent so far away i might want to buy it. list it here or on the facebook group for sale and someone will gladly take it off your hands.

Yes, capacitors fail around the 20 year mark.

Before you junk it, take the ECU apart and repair it with a quality soldering iron and high grade capacitors.

Collectors of vintage car and home audio have been doing this for the last decade or so.

It has some rust which I would happily cut out and replace if it were safe to drive.

Extreme misfire and intermittent power loss, very weird electrical issues, horrible exhaust smell, billowing clouds of rancid exhaust not just outside but now flooding the cab through the vents, etc etc

This will get skipped by many but the only things not replaced/repaired at this point are the injectors or IAC. A computer is a lot cheaper first try and I don't think anything else would cause the combination of issues.

1. Computer
2. Whole new oem harne$$
3. Injector$
4. Burnt valve/extreme blowby/needs rebuild

The last 3 must be done AFTER trying another computer. Especially with all the other elec stuff going on. (Cant reset airbags, lights working intermittently, etc etc etc)

Have you run a compression test on the engine?

"Extreme misfire and intermittent power loss, very weird electrical issues, horrible exhaust smell, billowing clouds of rancid exhaust not just outside but now flooding the cab through the vents, etc etc"

This tells me that you may have a head gasket issue and it has possibly caused a leak in the heater core, thus blowing the "rancid exhaust" through the vents.
A bad ECU would not cause that, but a blown head gasket would cause MOST of the issues you have listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom