Where can I get a decent starter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
My starter officially went out on me… Was going to test drive my Lc after replacing throttle cable and booster and my starter was toast. So where can I get a good starter? Don’t want an Auto Zone or OReillys cheap one. Want a decent one. Any leads would be great. TIA

Replace the contacts and plunger on yours. Simple job and significantly cheaper than buying a reman.
I need to rebuild mine but don't know how to tell difference between 1.4KW or 2.0KW starter bush. The difference is in price LOL besides that, I don't know which one to order

Toyota is under $200

04DE4C3C-2872-4F01-907E-171693F5741B.jpeg

165460AD-50F8-43BD-BBE9-322C7746FEF1.jpeg

87C7226E-67F9-46E1-BF5E-D1E87354417D.jpeg

This may be a helpful start to that process. I assume the physical dimensions are slightly different as well.

Thanks mate, very useful site. After looking at that pretty sure mine is a denso or replacement as it does not have any toyota ID at all and it is just like the one at Rock auto. I'll rebuild it with the parts on the article. Thanks again

Replace the contacts and plunger on yours. Simple job and significantly cheaper than buying a reman.
Well when I went to go start my Lc I could hear the gears grinding in starter, don’t think that would fix it…? Never rebuilt one or know how to.
This may be a helpful start to that process. I assume the physical dimensions are slightly different as well.

what’s the difference between the three?
Wait, never mind. I think I misunderstood this post.

what’s the difference between the three?
Just get the 2.0kW. The 1.4 was used in very warm climates (think Florida, Hawaii) and the 2.2 was (I think) only used a few years in the US. The 2.2 is probably only worth it for bragging rights. *Maybe* it would be worth it if you lived in Alaska or Russia.

Keep your old starter and rebuild it for the experience and to have on-hand as a spare. It's a critical item to have in the boonies when you have an automatic transmission.

Just get the 2.0kW. The 1.4 was used in very warm climates (think Florida, Hawaii) and the 2.2 was (I think) only used a few years in the US. The 2.2 is probably only worth it for bragging rights. *Maybe* it would be worth it if you lived in Alaska or Russia.

Keep your old starter and rebuild it for the experience and to have on-hand as a spare. It's a critical item to have in the boonies when you have an automatic transmission.
Oh okay I see, that makes sense. I was looking at getting the 2.0. And I think I will buy a rebuild kit to fix my old one. Thanks for your input.

Oh okay I see, that makes sense. I was looking at getting the 2.0. And I think I will buy a rebuild kit to fix my old one. Thanks for your input.
No problem. When I first needed a replacement starter, I selected the 1.4 and had to cancel my order the next morning when I realized what I'd done. May have been a drinking-while-browsing incident.

Incidentally, my Denso starter would occasionally not spin and needed a light tap with a hammer to make it work. I finally pulled it apart and found that the contacts were worn unevenly. I *think* that they didn't properly seat the contacts at the factory. I replaced them with the contacts from RockAuto's Dorman kit (#02349, $15), following the FSM's directions, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.

No problem. When I first needed a replacement starter, I selected the 1.4 and had to cancel my order the next morning when I realized what I'd done. May have been a drinking-while-browsing incident.

Incidentally, my Denso starter would occasionally not spin and needed a light tap with a hammer to make it work. I finally pulled it apart and found that the contacts were worn unevenly. I *think* that they didn't properly seat the contacts at the factory. I replaced them with the contacts from RockAuto's Dorman kit (#02349, $15), following the FSM's directions, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.
Awesome! I have a paper FSM and one online so I’ll make sure to follow it. Doesn’t seem too hard. I just replaced my brake booster and I was pretty nervous about doing that. But went really good and didn’t disconnect the brake lines. Also did the throttle cable while I was in there. I’m not very mechanically inclined so I was pretty proud I got it all done.

my starter jammed on many years back, early 2000's and wouldnt stop cranking, had to remove battery terminal to stop it and then a couple of whacks with a hammer freed it up.

Anyhow, I rang a Denso distributor in Melbourne via a friend whos a mechanic and deals with them and was given 2 prices $245 for the Denso labelled starter or $740 for the Toyota labelled one in a toyota box. I obviously went with the Denso one and then learnt how to rebuild the old starter and keep it in the back of the car as a spare when going camping etc - my car is auto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom