Where can I find the schematic for these VSV hoses? - 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joestewart

SILVER Star
Threads
This must have been answered before, but multiple searches have failed to give me the answer. This is in regards to a 1970 FJ40. There is a vacuum switching valve on the left front fender that is cylindrical in shape. There are four (4) small diameter vacuum lines coming out the side (circled in blue in the photo). Mine are all hooked up, but I do not know if they are hooked up to the proper place. There is one orphan vacuum nipple on the carburetor (circled in red). I am uncertain which line, if any should be hooked up there. I believe the schematic WAS
IMG_3186.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
visible on a sticker which is on the VSV, however the sticker has long faded into illegible / unreadable. So far I have been unable to find a schematic for this VSV. I did find the attached page somewhere (I forgot where), but I am having trouble applying it to my VSV. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a pdf of the 1970 Emissions Manual available? (I have not been able to find one yet). Thanks for any input!

Figure 3.87 on Page 81 of the Hayne's manual (with the orange cover) has a much better schematic.

For 2F engines, there is an "Emission Control Repair Manual" that documents every single VSV and vacuum line there is on the engine or in the engine bay, but I don't know what year Toyota started publishing that or if there is even one for F engines. I have a PDF file of the 1981 2F version.

Short answer:
That orphan is a 'choke breaker.' It needs (manifold) vacuum all the time. Most Aisan choke breakers aren't worth running, unchecked. They develop vacuum leaks there on a 50-plus-year-old part. If your's holds vacuum, then employ it! A choke breaker, properly adjusted, is going to significantly add to the cold startup ease on an original carb.

Who knows how to test a VSV from 1970? Maybe just running a vacuum line from the ported carb barb to distributor advance diaphragm, and a manifold source to the working choke breaker?

My question?
How do fuel tank vapors get addressed in 1970 emissions schemes?

Short answer:
That orphan is a 'choke breaker.' It needs (manifold) vacuum all the time. Most Aisan choke breakers aren't worth running, unchecked. They develop vacuum leaks there on a 50-plus-year-old part. If your's holds vacuum, then employ it! A choke breaker, properly adjusted, is going to significantly add to the cold startup ease on an original carb.

Who knows how to test a VSV from 1970? Maybe just running a vacuum line from the ported carb barb to distributor advance diaphragm, and a manifold source to the working choke breaker?

My question?
How do fuel tank vapors get addressed in 1970 emissions schemes?
I used the test procedure in the Haynes Manual for VSV, the procedure worked and mine checked out just fine.
The only vent on my tank is a hose that goes from the tank up along the filler neck and attaches right below the vented fuel cap.

This must have been answered before, but multiple searches have failed to give me the answer. This is in regards to a 1970 FJ40. There is a vacuum switching valve on the left front fender that is cylindrical in shape. There are four (4) small diameter vacuum lines coming out the side (circled in blue in the photo). Mine are all hooked up, but I do not know if they are hooked up to the proper place. There is one orphan vacuum nipple on the carburetor (circled in red). I am uncertain which line, if any should be hooked up there. I believe the schematic WASView attachment 2806594View attachment 2806596 visible on a sticker which is on the VSV, however the sticker has long faded into illegible / unreadable. So far I have been unable to find a schematic for this VSV. I did find the attached page somewhere (I forgot where), but I am having trouble applying it to my VSV. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a pdf of the 1970 Emissions Manual available? (I have not been able to find one yet). Thanks for any input!

hey Joe

do u still need a 1970 factory vacuum Routing and also PARTS Diagram ?

are 100% sure you have a 1970 period correct set up in place as well here ?

post part # on the VSV / Torpedo thing with all the vacuum male tips ports if u can ?

if so , report back i should be able to help

thanks matt

This must have been answered before, but multiple searches have failed to give me the answer. This is in regards to a 1970 FJ40. There is a vacuum switching valve on the left front fender that is cylindrical in shape. There are four (4) small diameter vacuum lines coming out the side (circled in blue in the photo). Mine are all hooked up, but I do not know if they are hooked up to the proper place. There is one orphan vacuum nipple on the carburetor (circled in red). I am uncertain which line, if any should be hooked up there. I believe the schematic WASView attachment 2806594View attachment 2806596 visible on a sticker which is on the VSV, however the sticker has long faded into illegible / unreadable. So far I have been unable to find a schematic for this VSV. I did find the attached page somewhere (I forgot where), but I am having trouble applying it to my VSV. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there a pdf of the 1970 Emissions Manual available? (I have not been able to find one yet). Thanks for any input!

Here's the VSV sticker
:View attachment 2807764

SOR vacuum piping diagram
048a-gif.618595
I think the difference between your 70 and mine is the manifold port next to your carb. It looks like someone added, which in turn may be the confusing part as previously stated.

Last edited:

The SOR diagram is the same as the Hayne's diagram I mentioned above.

i believe this official TECH is your Correct Path Forward ...........

EB4A253C-5B3F-4B71-822A-F96F1E1D2CF1.jpeg
91E64312-AA1F-4656-92EA-AAB70B6CF3F7.jpeg
A3712450-BA95-4486-8049-E0128D51CE16.jpeg
178431D9-0713-489A-AB2B-28DB9539782B.jpeg
DB8EAC93-3A08-4592-8D59-0F4DA0133F92.jpeg
3FED6DD1-EB8B-452F-82CB-0CCAE22BBE26.jpeg
A4898FB9-E057-4C6C-A3AE-093EBC043EF4.jpeg
6E59CE02-6E14-4346-A268-96F0DB91244F.jpeg
93D7EE82-D6B5-46DE-9BE1-E683E1845A91.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, ToyotaMatt That is what I needed. I cannot say that I am 100% certain that this is period correct set up on my rig, but it is a 1970 FJ40! I will look for a part number on the torpedo, but I can tell you the sticker has completely worn off, so if the part number is not engraved, I probably won't be able to read it. Your diagram(s) contain the detail I need to proceed. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom