Where are the alarm connectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overland-cruisers.co.uk
I am about to fit a third party alarm to a '92 Jap Import and was wondering if anyone knows where the connectors for the factory alarm would normally be?

I have already located most of the wires that I need to connect to however I get the impression that even if the factory alarm isn't fitted, the connectors are there within the loom so that it can be plumbed in to link in with the indicators when the alarm is armed/disarmed and also link in with the central locking, etc.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Check under the drivers seat or behind the drivers side kick panel.

Way different year but this is what I found when removing the POS-leftover-from-the-PO kill switch in my 97...

Under the steering column is the harness for the ignition circuit. That harness has a couple of connectors in it. You have to remove some of the lower dash to access them. The important one is connected to the ignition switch (key) and is pretty beefy, 14 wires IIRC.

In normal, non-alarmed rigs this connecter is just that, a male connector and female connecter carrying 14 wires that plug into each other. In alarmed rigs, there is a male-female jumper that connects into the harness. This avoids any ugly cutting of wires or tapping circuits when Toyota installed the factory alarm. There is one wire that is DIRECTLY under the steering column but that's it. To remove /install the alarm is fairly simple, just remove the jumper connector.

There is also one wire that runs from the alarm box under the DS carpet with the rest of the harness and just hangs up under the steering column. I believe it is the antenna wire but couldn't verify.

I know, this thread is worthless without pics but hopefully that makes some sense!

Actually just looked at my 80 and the alarm is plumbed in beside the glove comparment on the passenger side, it looks like they have spliced into the loom there.

It is a toyota alarm, but I suspect that it was fitted by a dealer (not a very good job!).

I think I will just splice into the looms myself, comparing my 80 (a 94) to the one I am working on (a 92) there seem to be quite a ferw differences to the harness.

Thanks anyway for the pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom