When to service injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

# 4 reply said to check in deeper B4 tossing $$$ for just being a parts re-Placer ..

This should stay here I'm thinking, Due to , it's not just a chat item !!

If it's a funkie smell, and there was one in front of me , Didn't know the dude in front, but i was wondering also ..

So ~~~ Next is to place facts in line to narrow the field.

Fuel is ? old ? from? how much in tank since last fill.
Air filter is ? age ? (one of those reusable ones?

You get the picture.

My friend here just out side of ottawa just retired a BJ60 with 1.4 million kms on the engine with no engine work to speak of - not sure what he did with the injectors. Body fell off it.

:):):)

Logic , Slow , TTT = Things Take Time ..

VT

I had my 3B indirect injectors rebuilt by FH at about 350,000km, no leakage (they are designed with a softer body and a hardened needle to prevent this) but the needles had worn down into the bodies to effectually reduce the spring pressures, and hence the cracking pressures were down to about 1500psi. It could have been dealt with by reshimming but new tips were just as cheap. Rig ran fine before and just a bit better after.... I call it preventative maintenance.

Dunno, it's behind me, I can't see it usually. I know on start up I usually blow a little black smoke, and have noticed I smoke blue when idling, which clears up with acceleration.

NO idea what the manual says, I don't have one.
hi i jeff,are you experiencing some blue smoke at idle? why not try remove the breather hose from rocker cover to a remote oil catch can then reroute back to the air cleaner,at the bottom-can, installed a return hose with a pcv valve to the turbo return pipe & clean up all the left over m/oil from air cleaner induction hose to the turbocharger. then drive for 1-2 tanks of diesel to clear left oil on the inlet track!. then c when happen .

whos FH

Im thinking about getting my injectors re/re'd, I have a guy but would like some more info before i proceed...
I konw my 1HD is dirrect, not like 3B.
Thanks in advanced Roalco,
also thanks for the info previous on synthetic lines.

I had my 3B indirect injectors rebuilt by FH at about 350,000km, no leakage (they are designed with a softer body and a hardened needle to prevent this) but the needles had worn down into the bodies to effectually reduce the spring pressures, and hence the cracking pressures were down to about 1500psi. It could have been dealt with by reshimming but new tips were just as cheap. Rig ran fine before and just a bit better after.... I call it preventative maintenance.

Every other set of toyota injectors I have had rebuilt from 150-300,000 kms has been a waste of money - they have all been fine. Rebuild them if there are obvious signs they need rebuilding.
If the truck is running rough or if your fuel economy drops, I would have them serviced. If not, there is a good chance it is something else. Why throw money away?
Thanks for that guys.
My '92 80 series 1HZ has over 215,000 kms on it and the few service records that came with it don't indicate injector service. Maybe they were done, maybe not. If I am to ascribe to the notion that injectors need to at least be inspected at 80-100k, then I should be doing them pronto. However, the truck starts and runs great, no smoke that I can see, and on a recent tank of gas returned 27.8mpg imp - 10.16L/100km (mostly highway). I'll leave the injectors alone and focus on other PM (axle seals, etc.) instead!
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom