When recovery gear was a shovel, handyman and a couple of chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in the 70's we didn't have access to winches, super sized tires, or the fancy equipment of today. That led to a lot of fun!!

Photo taken in Redfield Canyon north of Tucson

Of course, if we had been in my cruiser, this would not have happened. LOL
Stuck.jpg

looks familiar

I dont know how many times as a teen that I would take out my dad's 1976 4X4 Chevy Blazer and get stuck. The open diffs would spin at the drop of a hat. I remember being stuck on the shoulder of Scottsdale Rd :eek: once. Also, being stuck on top of the rim for 6 hours on a fire road in the snow. Jacking and stuffing wood/rocks under the tires was tough in the snow and open diffs. There were 6 of us and as the afternoon got late, we were all cold and wet and started to worry about being stuck out in the middle of nowhere overnight. My friend and I were going to walk out and get help when another friend jumped in the Chevy and, by mistake, popped the clutch which lurched the truck out of the hole. Talk about elated and relieved!

High Lift jack, come-along, chain, shovel, axe and cheap band saw was my poor man's winch for years. I used the chain wrapped aound the rest plus thru the back tube of the passenger's seat to keep it all in place in a roll-over. Which did happen once.

The bald tires on that Chevy probablly didn't help much either:D

The bald tires on that Chevy probablly didn't help much either:D

LOL! Back in those days extra money went for beer and gas(in that order as I recall). If a tire would hold air it was good to go.... :)

How do I get to Redfield Canyon?

How do I get to Redfield Canyon?

Redfield Canyon comes out of the Galiuro Mountains and empties into the San Pedro River at Redington. Access to lower Redfield Canyon was traditionally made from a side road off the Pomerene/San Manuel road just north of the Redfield Canyon bridge. You would climb up a short hill and go through a gate in the fence. That fence now has a locked gate on it with a sign to call a number to get a key. Interestingly that locked gate prevents you from leaving the rancher's private land not entering it! If you stay on the main road and go north a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the bridge you will come to a gas line gate that is not locked. Follow the gas line road back to the locked gate(the other side) and you are on your way. There will be forks in the road. Generally bear toward Redfield Canyon(topo will help). You will eventually reach a long steep drop into Redfield Canyon. Turn and drive up canyon. The guy in the orange shirt was up there a couple of weeks ago. He said that the road was pretty rough. Other forks in the road lead further up into the mountains where you can walk to interesting places in upper Redfield canyon. One place called the Sheep Camp was on an old pack trail to Jackson Cabin. HTH

Ernie

Nice...Thanks for the directions...I'm gonna have to check that out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom