When is it considered "too much" rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1594917597642.png

Ran when parked. Great restoration project. No tire kickers or low ballers. I know what these things are worth and restored these routinely sell for one billion dollars.

That’s funny... but see that same kind of ad all the time. Mike

You can pay more for one that's clean or get a rusty one for cheap then clean it up yourself. All depends what your time's worth.

You can pay more for one that's clean or get a rusty one for cheap then clean it up yourself. All depends what your time's worth.
Wait, I wouldn't pay $14K for that one. This owner posted up about buying it a while back asking about the value. I corresponded with him, both via his thread, and directly via email. The pictures were very poor and offered little information, but I offered a value of $15k as a starting point. I followed-up that value with the caveat, and I quote: "really nice, complete truck. No shortcuts, everything up-to-date. Needs nothing, so-to-speak". This was from our email exchange.

He posted a few days later saying he bought the truck, but then it was for sale a day or two after that. Here's the thread.

Maybe it's all that, but it doesn't look like from the photos.

The second set of pictures you posted looks a lot better than the first - but there's so many issues with that much rust. You will fight every single thing you take off the truck. Get good with a bolt extractor - you will be using it all the time. You will need to buy new hardware for everything you replace. The stainless bolt kit for my hatch and hood on the 80 was $100. That stuff adds up. My 62 isn't terrible on rust. It needs the rockers replaced and I have a set of Trail Tailor channel inserts to put in, but the frame rails and most things actually look pretty good. Think of total expense. Rusty truck is less up front but more time, more frustration, more work, etc... I would recommend finding a lower rust truck that maybe needs cosmetic work such as cracked dash/faded paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom