When is high mileage, HIGH mileage, is too high? For a first time buy.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2002 Taco modestly rigged to overland. Last October went with a group of 80 series to southern Utah and fell for the Land Cruiser. I'm used to having the IFS so I have no problem with jumping into a 100 series. Found one '98 with rear locker, here in town with 397,xxx miles on it. The asking price started at 6700 but is quickly falling. I'm pretty handy with the tools so a project is what I'm looking for. I understand that the 4.7 is a great motor. But this amount of mileage does have me question my sanity. The owner has stated that the timing belt has been replaced and has owned it for some time. I think it is from Cali originally. What are the thoughts of the experts on this site? I have watched a few youtube videos on what to look for example that shop from New Hampshire. I feel the asking price is a little high.

Last edited:
2uz is a 1-million-mile engine if maintained. At 400k, every rubber and plastic part needs replaced. Cruiser Parts last longer than any part on your taco tho. Plus no LBJ death trap.

PS - I live in Longmont, too. Would be happy to take a look at the 100 you’re interested in with you.

Not saying they won’t go more by any means but For 6700 I would expect multiple rounds of baseline type maintenance/service Records and even then I’d Be having it inspected thoroughly for anything major to ensure it’s not on the brink of a big fix..transmission, master cylinder, insert other big things.

2uz is a 1-million-mile engine if maintained. At 400k, every rubber and plastic part needs replaced. Cruiser Parts last longer than any part on your taco tho. Plus no LBJ death trap.

PS - I live in Longmont, too. Would be happy to take a look at the 100 you’re interested in with you.
That is crazy cool! You might know a guy named Beretta? Anyway I will call the guy tomorrow and set up a late evening shakedown. The guy just dropped the price to $5200.

I've seen the ad for that truck, it looks pretty nice for the mileage. A maintained 2uz will go forever, for real.

Definitely be prepared to put a couple grand into it, since its a project you're wrenching on thats definitely the way to go. As others have stated it will probably need all the usual, misc suspension/front end stuff, possibly exhaust. a few window regulators or door actuators. I'd try to go $4k or less though. I got my truck with 300k for $4,000. It is locked though...

Condition trumps mileage. Nothing is expected to be beyond minor repair at any mileage on these. There are a few gotchas that can add up fast, but generally the miles really don't matter much.

If you need a second set of eyes, shoot me a PM. I don't have time to come to you, but maybe we can meet briefly in my area if you can bring the car my way during a test drive. I'm just east of I-25 near Longmont.

I'm looking for a 100 series to compliment my 80 and had the exact same question so I'm glad I found this thread. I'm in Broomfield. Any luck @TOYorLEX? I'd be looking to use the 100 as a daily driver and save the 80 for the trails. Seems this Stans Auto place has more than a couple 100 series, but I know nothing of them.

Hi from nearby Louisville. My TLC, 2000 with 408k, is mostly finished with many parts replaced. See attachment.

image.jpg

Saw a local 2006 LX. 190K miles. Asking $16800. All stock.

1 owner car. All Lexus receipts. Does need the 180k timing belt service, its overdue.

Also passenger mirror motor and driver door window motors seem to be going out.

Too high? Just right?

If you're seriously interested in it, drop a deposit and get a PPI done. Even with some expected deferred maintenance issues, if there is no body cancer, that could be a great value purchase, even after baselining*.

* denotes within reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom