When I pull my speedo cable out should it leak oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my speedometer stopped working suddenly, the speedo dial was jumping the past week or two. Figured maybe a loose cable but the one behind cluster was plugged in. Went under the car and speed there was plugged in also. Decided to pull it out to check gears but once I got it half way or so out it started spilled out oil. Decided to push it back in and get online to see if that's supposed to happen but can't find any info on it. Is oil supposed to spew out of the speedo socket under the car?

The drive gear for the speedometer is inside the case. If the oil level is above the opening for the drive gear oil is going to come out. Suggest lifting the passenger side if you don't want to drain the T case. I have replaced the rear output seal doing this.

The drive gear for the speedometer is inside the case. If the oil level is above the opening for the drive gear oil is going to come out. Suggest lifting the passenger side if you don't want to drain the T case. I have replaced the rear output seal doing this.

yeah don't want to drain the t case so will just lift up the passenger side like u suggested, thanks!

if speedo was jumping inside coil spring cable has broken

only thing that will make it jump like that

oil is drawn tom top from the broken points both now acting like a boat prop and sucking oil upward and out to top ...

time for a new speedo cable assy .

what year and modle land cruiser you have going on ?

what trans and T-case too

all this detail matters greatly ///

I've got a 1980 with a 2F and a 4 speed. I thought the cable might need a bit of lubricating since when my Alfa speedo was jumping or bouncing I found a lube at Ace Hardware that was specifically for the cable. Didn't have time to do it this past week and now the speedo is dead.

IMG_1257.jpg

I've got a 1980 with a 2F and a 4 speed. I thought the cable might need a bit of lubricating since when my Alfa speedo was jumping or bouncing I found a lube at Ace Hardware that was specifically for the cable. Didn't have time to do it this past week and now the speedo is dead.

DEAD means the inner coil spring is broken like i mention above ....

this is a 1980 2F 4speed / 5 Speed correct length OEM TOYOTA Japan Spec. Speedometer Cable assy. comes with all the correct needed seals and dust boots too , also has the correct fire wall needed service grommet factory installed too ...

HEAVEY DUTY tough as Nails this is :

1674452314387.png

1674452329290.png

1674452340775.png

s-l16001236512_2048x.jpg

oh wow amazing, thank you so much

your welcome ,

PM me for further details if you require international shipping to KUWAIT ?

i can make that happen .... :)

thanks for your support

matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom