When doing an h55 swap, what do I have to do to the t-case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
My 87 fj60 has been sitting in the driveway for almost 2mo now as the 3rd gear synchro is bad. I want to do the h55 swap, and I want to know what I need to do to the t-case? I think mine is worn a bit since I thin it might have run without a full amount of oil for a time, as the seal between the trans and t-case was bad. Is the t-case something my general mech can do or do I need a trans shop to do it? What is the t-case going to cost me? I ask these questions, because I seem to remember somewhere that when you do an h55 swap you need to do something to the t-case.

thank you,
Zack

If you have the original '87 t-case you just need to add the 5th gear oiler cup. Sounds like you also need to overhaul the t-case while you have it apart doing the trans swap. If you can handle swapping the trans then you can handle overhauling the t-case. I've had good luck with the kits sold by TPI but I'm sure you can get an equally good kit from your favorite Cruiser parts supplier. Just follow the instructions in the FSM...

HTH,
Nick

At a minimum, you will want to replace all the major seals and gaskets, but if you can spare the $$$, get a full rebuild kit (under $200).... Hope that helps :D

TCase_RBLD.JPG

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/engineparts.html

like mentioned above, get a full rebuild kit with bearings, seals, etc. Well worth the time, and certainly easiest to do when the t-case is apart which it will mostly be to remove from old tranny and install on the new h55f.

Kurt is a great vendor with great prices, and fantastic service, so I would recommend shopping with him(cruiseroutfitters.com)

Can someone post the steps involved in rebuilding the t-case? My Mech is well versed in auto repair. so he is going to pull the old trans and t-case. But the general consenus(sp) is that he can do it?

Zack

<Obi-Wan voice> Use the FSM, Luke. ;p

A professional wrench will have no problem rebuilding the transfer case w/ the FSM. Let him borrow yours if necessary. Go buy the FSM if you haven't already.

Check the Land Cruiser Tech Links on this site. You might find what to do to the case for the H55f.
This one looks promising:
Jim Brink (H55F - FJ60)

I've just done this and posted in various threads. If you search under my user name they will come up. The split case rebuild is pretty easy-I agree, that if you can handle the tranny swap, the t-case rebuild almost happens on it's own. There are 2 hard parts: pressing the output shaft bearings on and off, and setting the output preload with shims. The rest is shockingly easy. If you install the H55, you also will need to plug one of the bolt holes in the front half of the t-case. THat was easy, but extremely important to do right. I posted pics of this previously. Good luck.

Cruiserdrew said:
...If you install the H55, you also will need to plug one of the bolt holes in the front half of the t-case. THat was easy, but extremely important to do right. I posted pics of this previously. Good luck.

Good catch, on the later split-cases, the extra bolt hole needs to be tapped and plug... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom