When do you make the jump from all terrains to mud terrains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Remember that tire size impacts how high the axle tubes are off the ground. An aired down 31” diameter tire might be close to a 29” diameter tire at street pressure (speaking axle tube height here). Do you need the extra height? I’m gonna throw it out there simply because they make it. BFG A/T KO2 30x9.5x15 would be another option :)

Is there a large performance benefit to 31s over the factory 235/75-15 sizing? I know on road is better with the smaller wheels, but maybe air down performance off road suffers? They make KO2s in both sizes.

Use the above link to check size comparisons. And keep in mind BFG AT's tend to run a little smaller than advertised sizes (for example, a 31" tire will be a little bigger than 30" or something like that)

When going larger, you'll want to keep your gear ratio in mind. My buddy with a stock FJ60 prefers 29" or 30" tires with the stock FJ60 ratio, whereas with 4.11 ratio as factory on my FJ62, 31" seems to be a pretty good size.

I wouldn't necessarily say smaller tire "air down" performance suffers off-road, but as @klinetime574 pointed out, the smaller diameter does affect the clearance for everything: axle tube to bumper, and from my experience, the rear overhang on the wagons is the real issue.

Use the above link to check size comparisons. And keep in mind BFG AT's tend to run a little smaller than advertised sizes (for example, a 31" tire will be a little bigger than 30" or something like that)

When going larger, you'll want to keep your gear ratio in mind. My buddy with a stock FJ60 prefers 29" or 30" tires with the stock FJ60 ratio, whereas with 4.11 ratio as factory on my FJ62, 31" seems to be a pretty good size.

I wouldn't necessarily say smaller tire "air down" performance suffers off-road, but as @klinetime574 pointed out, the smaller diameter does affect the clearance for everything: axle tube to bumper, and from my experience, the rear overhang on the wagons is the real issue.
Ah, the the final drive is different on the FJ62 as opposed to the FJ60. I guess that explains why I’ve seen some folks stay stock sizes and some bump to 31” like mine with minimal issues.

A few years ago, I had a shop replace the worn off brand 31" tires with Goodyear Trailrunner ATs 31"x10.5x15 (NTB - Tires & Routine Auto Maintenance - https://www.ntb.com/sku/sku5580492/wrangler-trailrunner-at) on the OEM rims. I feel like I've easily exceeded their grip limits in a myriad of conditions, rock gardens, mud, sand (no snow though). I think part of it is experience related, knowing how much to air down, proper break over techniques, trail lines, and all. However, I've had the truck in mortal peril twice on these tires offroad and while I'm happy to read up on trail driving and learn more, I've been considering moving to mud terrains and sacrificing on road comfort for offroad performance since I really put the truck through it's paces offroad very regularly. Having an open rear diff and a partially functioning transfer case (now fixed) definitely didn't add much to the traction equation. I'm not expecting anything magic that'll make up for lack of skill, but I would like a little bit more offroad traction than I currently have.

• Also considering the Mickey Thompson Bajas

The Goodyear Trailrunner ATs are a good hybrid on road/fire road tire and mine have plenty of life left, but I just don't have confidence in their performance anymore for my use cases. I did pick up a dial gauge air release and a Milwaukee tire inflator for getting the correct tire pressures for offroading.

When did y'all switch over to mud terrains? Was it worth the decreased on road performance? Would I be better served with a higher end all terrain like the BFG KO2s?
as soon as the ATs tread is worn enough to warrant replacing.

for the street, MTs look cooler but are louder.

Look at cooper tires over the BFG, ive tried a few bfgs and did not really like them as much as the coopers. The ST Maxx is a good middle ground between MT and AT. The STT pros i liked a lot on my old firstgen 4runner. Cooper also makes 3 versions of their AT3 all terrain varying from mild to more aggressive AT3 4s, AT3 LT, and AT3 XLT.

My 60 came with toyo MTs and i hate them. Theyre loud and one is wobbly. They just wont wear down though so i guess they last a while

for the street, MTs look cooler but are louder.

Look at cooper tires over the BFG, ive tried a few bfgs and did not really like them as much as the coopers. The ST Maxx is a good middle ground between MT and AT. The STT pros i liked a lot on my old firstgen 4runner. Cooper also makes 3 versions of their AT3 all terrain varying from mild to more aggressive AT3 4s, AT3 LT, and AT3 XLT.

My 60 came with toyo MTs and i hate them. Theyre loud and one is wobbly. They just wont wear down though so i guess they last a while
I'll have to check out those Cooper ATs and MTs

Last edited:
Give the cooper stt pros a look.
You couldn't pay me to run bfg or gy tires.

These are what I run and have for probably a decade. On road noise is fine. Traction in the snow was good. Mileage per set is good. And they're .uxh better looking than an at which matters to me.

As to the op's question I switch to an mt as soon as I buy tires for a rig. The drawbacks just don't effect me.

20220311_125235.jpg

These are what I run and have for probably a decade. On road noise is fine. Traction in the snow was good. Mileage per set is good. And they're .uxh better looking than an at which matters to me.

As to the op's question I switch to an mt as soon as I buy tires for a rig. The drawbacks just don't effect me.

View attachment 3063863
The Pros rule!

iNspI55l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom