When did you buy your first 80? (1 Viewer)

In what year did you buy your first 80?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is kind of what I am trying to figure out. Did people buy when they cost $50k? $40k? $30k? $5k? But I also am curious when they bought because say in 2013 there were a lot of options in 1993 there wasn't much to choose from. lol.

I bought one because in 2013 they were cheap and haggard but had 4 doors. If I were a rich man I probably would have bought a JKU due to ease of modification and aftermarket support.

That is kind of what I am trying to figure out. Did people buy when they cost $50k? $40k? $30k? $5k? But I also am curious when they bought because say in 2013 there were a lot of options in 1993 there wasn't much to choose from. lol.
Right. Thats an interesting question. Im curious too. I suspect more current owners that dont post on this forum are less enamored with the land cruiser name and more interested in the utility/value either as a toy or crap transportation

Dec 2006, one week before my wedding. Got divorced last month, she got the house, I got the dog and the Cruiser.

Damn that sucks, sorry man, hate to say it but the dog really is man's best friend and there are a lot of ladies out there.

Dec 2006, one week before my wedding. Got divorced last month, she got the house, I got the dog and the Cruiser.

Wrapped up my road racing career at Laguna Seca in 1975 with a life changing high speed crash. As I sat painfully recovering for several months I remembered a magazine article from say 1968. In fact I should dig it out as I still have it. It had a comparison between a Land Rover Series III 88.. an FJ40 and I believe a Bronco. I was a junior in high school and all I could think about was that 40 after reading about it.

Finally got well enough to start driving around town again. One night as I cruised by a Toyota dealership.. lo and behold there was a used white '73 FJ40 up on an inclined ramp. Went back first thing in the morning and bought it. Had 19k miles on it and I paid $3400 for it. Reason I bought it.. magazine article of course. Plus the Neurology Doctor had just told me the day before that my spinal cord would never take another impact like that again. I believed him! Only 23 yo.. but it scared the hell out me enough that what I had hoped would be a long racing career died with that conversation and the purchase of the FJ40. Never looked back and very foolishly sold the 40 12 years later.

2015.. after every other 4x has been purchased over the years.. including the legendary RangeRover Classic and Series IIa.. I finally realized I had been wasting time and money and the right and final purchase needed to be another LandCruiser. It is my last vehicle and I say that with no doubt. Coming up on three years of pouring my heart and soul into making sure it is as close to new as possible. Also modding and outfitting it for extended overland adventures now that I am pulling the plug on work and moving to the Hwy 395 corridor. Hopefully to explore everywhere between "here.. there and Ecuador" until my heart fails to move my blood. Should any of you find a dark green LX miles out in the bush with a shriveled up old corpse.. just dig a really big hole right there and bury both of us together. My 80 series means that much to me!

Last edited:
Damn that sucks, sorry man, hate to say it but the dog really is man's best friend and there are a lot of ladies out there.
I’m not sorry, I initiated it. It does kind of suck, but I can finally breath.

I came home to this beauty parked on my street and realized maybe I am asking the wrong question. Why are we not driving this thing?!! Lol

4E224419-C194-454F-90D2-972C9D4181E2.jpeg

I came home to this beauty parked on my street and realized maybe I am asking the wrong question. Why are we not driving this thing?!! Lol

View attachment 1630118
That thing needs to be put out it's misery. I don't hate Jeeps, but they do seem to attract people with "look at me!" syndrome. Barf...

First saw an 80 in 1997 at Syracuse University after the bowl game for football, Marvin Harrison (Indy colts) signed with his agent and rolled up in a brand new LX450. Wow! I was hooked and knew that some day it would be mine. I’ve owned many 80’s, from stock LX to diesel conversion, to SC beast to my current 4.7 Slee conversion on 35’s and 4” slee lift. They just fit me. I’ve tried 100’s and 200’s. Many of them. And I always come back to an 80. Thankfully I found my long term fix. If the ‘97 40th Anniv came with the 4.7 from the factory they’d still be going for $30,000.

First saw an 80 in 1997 at Syracuse University after the bowl game for football, Marvin Harrison (Indy colts) signed with his agent and rolled up in a brand new LX450. Wow! I was hooked and knew that some day it would be mine. I’ve owned many 80’s, from stock LX to diesel conversion, to SC beast to my current 4.7 Slee conversion on 35’s and 4” slee lift. They just fit me. I’ve tried 100’s and 200’s. Many of them. And I always come back to an 80. Thankfully I found my long term fix. If the ‘97 40th Anniv came with the 4.7 from the factory they’d still be going for $30,000.

I moved to Indy in 99. Had my 92. Would run in to Harrison from time to time at Sullivan’s steak house. Nice guy. I told him that I like his Land Cruiser (it was all blinged out by this point) and he told me “nah, it’s a Lexus!” Good thing he could run and catch well...

I moved to Indy in 99. Had my 92. Would run in to Harrison from time to time at Sullivan’s steak house. Nice guy. I told him that I like his Land Cruiser (it was all blinged out by this point) and he told me “nah, it’s a Lexus!” Good thing he could run and catch well...
That’s awesome! He was pretty damn good at football. Wish you had a pic of how tricked out he made it:)

IIRC, the loaded 80 Series was about $38k in 1992. I paid $31k, I think, for my close to bare bones 80. I know I have the window sticker somewhere but have moved so many times I’m not sure where. Need to dig it out. I know they jumped in price in 93 and 95. Mainly because of all of the options Mr T imported them with as “standard”.

My 93 I paid $2400 for in 2016. It was pretty ragged out when I bought it.

That thing needs to be put out it's misery. I don't hate Jeeps, but they do seem to attract people with "look at me!" syndrome. Barf...

Haven't been around long,,, there are a "few" decorated rigs here.:hillbilly:

That’s awesome! He was pretty damn good at football. Wish you had a pic of how tricked out he made it:)

I might have one. I’ll have to dig deep in to the archives. I was a roof consultant and had an appt downtown Indy and it was parked at Monument Circle while he did interviews at the radio stations. I snapped a pic with my digital camera. It’s probably mixed in with millions of pictures of roofs. I think I emailed it to my brother though so I might have it in my sent folder on gmail. Hmmm.

It was ****ing atrocious what he did to it! Chrome EVERYWHERE! Even worse than what Lexus did to them...

My family bought a 1996 cruiser in 1999 just in time for me to get my licence, my primary vehicle was an 89 wrangler...but I took the 80 whenever I could. That 80 eventually succumbed to the rust belt in 2016 and was sold.

Between 2002 and 2015 there were a bunch of other vehicles, CJ7, 1990 TD dual cab hilux, BMW 3 series x 2 Ram 2500 TD before I got back into a cruiser full time in 2014 with a 97 80 series, added a 92 in 2015, which was later sold. Picked up an 82 BJ42 in 2016 and a 2017 4Runner limited in early 2017. Latest aquisition has been a S/C LX450 just in the past few weeks.

My driveway now looks like a totota dealership.

Do I vote as 1999 or 2014?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom