When 80 AC actually works, what is it like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has 'single dealer opt' AC but it's never worked in the time I've had it (since mid 2011). Curious how much OEM stuff for 80 AC is still available? I dunno if LHD vs RHD has much commonality, or even petrol vs diesel, or Oz vs USA.

I have a brand new AC evap assembly (Australian made Denso product oldstock) in a box, and in another box a full spare (used) airbox assembly, and somewhere I have new genuine AC idle-up vacuum switch and a high-temp AC cutout, but I have not tracked down a new condensor or tried to get a new compressor.

for me, AC means winding down the windows on a 40 deg C + summer day. ;)

Last edited:
hmm I swapped out all AC parts on my truck minus the lines this summer, including new condenser and compressor. Everything was available, with products from multiple brands. I charged the system myself with a charge kit, it blows cold even at 35c but not icy cold as if a shop did it.

I need to visit Toronto, Australia lol

I need to visit Toronto, Australia lol

No-one needs to visit Toronto, Australia! :lol:

Skip Toronto, and go to Blacksmith's beach at Swansea (or any other beach in Aus). You'll forget Toronto as soon as you drive through it.

download (1).jpeg

My 96 blows cold. Hard off-roading in July and cold air blasting...guess I'm getting old.

The AC in my '97 1FZFE works really well for all passengers though it's just front AC and there is no secondary/rear unit. Summers in our area (South Eastern US) are hot and humid and driving without AC is pretty uncomfortable, esp. with a front engine and all of the radiant firewall/floor heat. With 250k miles the AC was still working pretty well but after a refresh the AC in my 80 performs noticeably better. It cools the interior off quickly (front passengers at least) and always has extra capacity on the dial, even when idling or in stop and go traffic. Tuning the fan clutch, sealing the rad to the core support, etc. will help with idle and low speed performance.

Here's a list of parts and the process that I followed to refresh the AC in my 80 earlier this year. I think that the costs and effort required were reasonable for the outcome and years of trouble free service the system is likely to provide.

just curious…is there a way to hack some kind of major upgrade to the stock system? I redid the system this past summer but it does not crank like a classic usa vehicle…any thoughts?

My 96 blows cold. Hard off-roading in July and cold air blasting...guess I'm getting old.
Only thing better is having a center console full of ice cold b--- err pepsis!

just curious…is there a way to hack some kind of major upgrade to the stock system? I redid the system this past summer but it does not crank like a classic usa vehicle…any thoughts?
put a fan on the condenser

@dogstar

Do you think you successfully got yours back to stock and are simply wanting more or do you think your 80s AC is performing worse than stock?

I'd guess that my 80s AC is currently performing at, or near, stock/original capabilities and I don't see the need to improve it. The temps can be a little cold right out of the vent but I just make sure they aren't blowing directly on me, other than that I'm happy with it. I really enjoy the auto climate control that my CE has as well and find it really useful.

We take a few long road trips in the 80 every Summer, adding up to more than a few weeks of regular time in the 80 as a family. Before I updated the AC it would work pretty hard to keep the whole 80 cool enough on hotter days and I'd have to optimize the vents to make sure the kids in the 2nd row stayed cool on those days. This year we rarely had to worry about pointing the vents for cooling the rear but did have the kids pack blankets and keep them close to hand after their initial complaints of getting too cold.

Now that the AC works well in my 80 I no longer wish for the 2nd AC unit in the back that international markets got. Just having AC vents up front works for us since the front row often get's more heat input with the windshield and since it has less tint than the rear and at least the driver is slightly more active and likely to stay a little warmer I'd guess. In any case, the 80 climate control works well when in good condition in my opinion/experience.

If you are having trouble keeping the AC cool in slow traffic, while parked or on trails/etc. you can add a 2nd fan as mentioned above. Tuning the fan clutch and sealing the rad to the core support/etc. along with thorough cleaning of the condensor/rad/trans cooler can also go a long way in this department. My 80 doesn't need the 2nd fan at this point but I could see how it may if I typically used it in different conditions, like SW rock crawling for instance.

not sure what stock cold means on a ‘94 80 series…thus the usa stock vehicle reference…just looking to see if there are either bolt in upgrades or hacks I could check out…when it is over 90 f my AC just aint cutting it…looking for ideas

Was your 80 originally R12? Don't know if that may be a factor, or if you updated the refrigerant, etc.

If you are running r134 in an originally r12 system that could be causing lower performance. I don't know what came with a '94 though. In any case, this could be a clue to why your AC has lower performance, assuming that it does.

Something is wrong. AC is one thing toyota knows how to do. It should give you frost bite on your ears after a while.

The a/c in my ‘94 blows as cold as, if not colder than, the a/c in my GX 460, which has good, cold a/c. About 25k miles ago, I replaced the evaporator and receiver drier and had it charged at a local, trusted shop. I also have a modified fan clutch and auxiliary cooling fan, which seem to help on extra hot and humid Kansas City days. Overall, when in proper working condition and with OEM parts, the 80’s a/c works as well as a modern car, IMHO.

Mine blows colder than my grandma's 1974 Cadillac.

With mine, the wiring to the high-temp AC cutout has been missing since the time I got the vehicle in 2011. I replaced the actual thermoswitch itself but trying to debug the electrical side of the AC is a pita (probably just because I've not worked on a 4wd AC system before). There is a compressor mounted to the motor but I've not had an AC belt on for years. The AC condensor is very rusty and chock full of bugs and other debris.

The air box assy in the dash has to be replaced as the hot/cold damper has something wrong with it (won't go all the way to cold). I don't know hot to tell if the AC system as it is configured for R12 or R134a.

There is something wrong if your aircon isn't Ice cold. I can drive it all day in 40 degree heat and actually have to turn the fan back one knotch it gets so cold. It's a 1994 1fz-fte.
I've done no mods and it's stock. Not sure what it's like for back seat passengers as I've never sat there but it's freezing up the front.

Only thing better is having a center console full of ice cold b--- err pepsis!
I draw the line there. That comment is totally inappropriate! To think that you would promote such a thing!
I will NOT allow P**si in my FJ80!!! EVER!

There is something wrong if your aircon isn't Ice cold. I can drive it all day in 40 degree heat and actually have to turn the fan back one knotch it gets so cold. It's a 1994 1fz-fte.
I've done no mods and it's stock. Not sure what it's like for back seat passengers as I've never sat there but it's freezing up the front.
My 80 is a DX base model, so probably AC wasn't a standard feature of the DX's in 1992 hence why the 'single dealer opt' version appears to be fitted to mine. I haven't bothered to do anything to fix AC in 11 yrs of owning the vehicle. But every now and then I feel like I want to, then realise how much I have to take the vehicle apart and trying to get parts, plus age of the motor, tends to make me feel it's a law of diminishing returns type of exercise. I've happily driven 11 yrs of Aussie summers with no AC in the 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom