wheeping rear main (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I'm changing all my fluids and noticed my engine oil is wheeping at the engine/trans seal.

IMG_0503.JPG

It looks like I may have caught it on a stick as it's bent. I didn't cheap my oil level prior to draining. I haven't noticed any spots or pressure changes. Anyways should the gasket be bent like this?

IMG_0504.JPG

Also what is the foam pad for?

That's just the backing plate.
I have never seen the foam before.
If the engine hasn't been driven much the 1HZ (and I guess the 1PZ also) can leak. When I bought my troopy it had only done 4000klms in 4 years and as soon as I started driving it began to leak. I was cursing the former owner for not telling me about the leak. But to my delight it stopped leaking after 2000klms and 60000 klms on, it is still dry.

Unfortunately that's likely not the case for me. I daily the truck for the most part. Likely I've got everything I need for a new clutch sitting on the shelf. I'll keep an eye on it in the mean time.

Try some power steering reconditioner in the engine oil. It will soften the seal after about 1000 miles. A mechanic told me to try it years ago when my old Ford V8 started leaking, worked great.

mine was leaking similarly and replaced the rear main at the same time as clutch.

That seems to be the plan now. However I was hoping the seals and bearing would last as long as the clutch. I've got everything on hand to do it proper (part of my parts splurge before I left Okinawa) but the current clutch is fine still. Oh well, I'll call it another "baseline" mechanical repair. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom