Wheels for 1968 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of the original wheels is rusted beyond safe service, need to check the others.

Found a couple of wheels on the interweb, ebay and cool cruisers.

Ebay states '69 to '80, I'm guessing '68 would be the same, cool cruisers only sells set of 5, have an email to see if they sell individually.

Anyone know of other sites I could look at?

Thanks, but the link is for 1975 to 1978, mine is a 1968. Nothing listed even for 1969

To be clear the early riveted wheels do not fit the FJ40 once the front axle got disc brakes. The later welded wheels fit the earlier drum just fine. The hub cap changed around the end of 1968. Tabs to mount the hub caps didn't change. So the wheels linked will not only fit the 68 drum brake they will also work with the early hub caps. Technically the early riveted wheels were designed for tube tires. Most run tubeless just fine. The riveted wheels had a rubber band wrapped around the inside to protect the tube from the heads on the rivets. If you in an area of high humidity and worried about rust the later welded wheels wouldn't have do not.have rivet that could possibly leak.

Last edited:
I found there a few wheels available, but not listed for 1968 except for classic cruisers Dizzy suggested.

Sent an email to someone has the ones listed as 1969 to 1984, but will the tabs be correct for the hub cap?

So no luck with the guy on ebay.

I am confused between P/N 4260160072 and 4260160071.

Is the 071 for newer vehicles with disc brakes, and the 072 for my 1968 original brakes?

Thanks.

To be clear the early riveted wheels do not fit the FJ40 once the front axle got disc brakes. The later welded wheels fit the earlier drum just fine. The hub cap changed around the end of 1968. Tabs to mount the hub caps didn't change. So the wheels linked will not only fit the 68 drum brake they will also work with the early hub caps. Technically the early riveted wheels were designed for tube tires. Most run tubeless just fine. The riveted wheels had a rubber band wrapped around the inside to protect the tube from the heads on the rivets. If you in an area of high humidity and worried about rust the later welded wheels wouldn't have do not.have rivet that could possibly leak.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

If you look on Toyota parts #72 replaces #70 & #71. They're all going to be welded wheels with the hub cap clips and they'll evidently be black. They will fit your 40 but they are not riveted. 1975 Was the last year in the US that had drum brakes on the frt. They went to welded to clear the caliper. Riveted wheels hit the caliper. You'll have to probably buy a used set of old tech riveted wheels if that's what you want.

I probably am overcomplicating this whole thing. But when I look for Wheels, everybody keeps stating 69 to 84 in my 68 isn't included, but I think you pretty much explained that I can use these wheels. Thanks again

I probably am overcomplicating this whole thing. But when I look for Wheels, everybody keeps stating 69 to 84 in my 68 isn't included, Z I think you pretty much explained that I can use these wheels. Thanks again

69 because toyota dropped anything earlier 3/69 from the parts system many years ago. 84 because other than some versions Toyota had contract to supply the 40 series was replaced by the 70 series 11/84. There was no single wheel used 69-84. For your drum brakes any US imported 40 series wheel up to 8/80 will work. All ours during that time had hub cap clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom