Wheels and Tires for 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys. I am looking for Wheel options for my 1976 FJ40 that I am finishing up. It has 16" wheels with Disk Brakes, Any suggestions

IMG_1329.jpeg

Hardest thing is wheels that will fit shallow offset that without wheel spacers. Clearance for brake caliper and tie rod ends is a problem. Most modern wheels have a larger offset than the 3 1/2" the stock wheels have. Not running these wheel right now just using as rollers but have a 1" spacer on the front.
IMG_20190822_190100793.jpg
IMG_20190822_190416165.jpg

Here’s some 16’s w 235/85/16

3A74D38D-2ECA-4604-8D35-A3AE43A85886.jpeg

899ECA58-3821-4BFD-AD60-DAB5C23C934E.jpeg

What are your plans for the truck? Sunday driver or off road?

I run FJ60 wagon wheels with 33 x 10.5 BFG All Terrains on my 40.

I have dreams of taking it off road but I don't want to deal with the fall out if I scratch it.

What are those that are on it now? Factory non-USA splits or maybe old chev pickup with the center cut out?

I don't know what the previous owner changed to swap front brakes to disks, but these bolted right up and fit on the front with 255/75R17's mounted:
IMG_20200629_180649.jpg

They required 1" spacers on the back. All the tie rod and brake clearance issues are pretty much gone once it's a 17" rim.

Came off someone's FJ Cruiser... I've never bothered to measure the width and offset...

So, they are factory 16" toyota and welded, not riveted. Are they spilt (multi piece) wheels? I had three older 16" splits that were riveted and I bought a fourth from the toyota dealer in Victoria, BC and they were welded. This was in the mid 90s.

City Racer makes a nice 16" rim which works with the factory hubcaps....if you want to keep the OEM look.

I have also read that the FJ Company are making a similar rim in aluminum. They are pretty pricey though.

16" toyota welded for Disk Brakes

wondering what Toyota vehicle these would have come from?
they aren't Landcruiser as they would have hubcap clips
I was thinking they are from a Chevy or GM vehicle.

wondering what Toyota vehicle these would have come from?
they aren't Landcruiser as they would have hubcap clips
I was thinking they are from a Chevy or GM vehicle.

That is what I thought.

I think what you have on it now looks great. Just paint the wheels and put the hubcaps on.

Can't tell for sure on my phone but the OP wheels look they a bump on the inner ring around the lugs to hold a hub cap. Believe that is how old GM wheels held the hub cap on.

On five lug old ford trucks they are 'innies' or 'outies'. Refers to nubs to hold hub caps on. I have a couple of sets of 15" toyota mini truck wheels on various rigs here. They look a lot like the OP's but his are 16" ... Also the old haynes manual has a pic of a 45 with 16" splits and factory hubcaps. I busted the rivet heads off some rusty 15's clips and drilled and tapped my splits and installed them so I'd have caps like that 45. Was stated to be UK version. Mini truck wheel seems almost identical to FJ 40 without the clips.

So, they are factory 16" toyota and welded, not riveted. Are they spilt (multi piece) wheels? I had three older 16" splits that were riveted and I bought a fourth from the toyota dealer in Victoria, BC and they were welded. This was in the mid 90s.
Welded ones are for Disk Brake fjs

Welded ones are for Disk Brake fjs
Yes mine are 2 piece welded. Rivetind ones will not cleat the disk Brakes. I actually need one more welded one if I keep these wheels. I am also looking for a good used distributor. Points type,

Yes mine are 2 piece welded. Rivetind ones will not cleat the disk Brakes. I actually need one more welded one if I keep these wheels. I am also looking for a good used distributor. Points type,
I might have the distributor, I'll look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom