Wheels and man-a-fre brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked around and found maybe one post from a fellow mudder. I have the wildwood brakes installed with oem steel wheels and a spacer to clear the calipers. (7/70 fj40). I went to discount tire to get some rubber overdrive (33's) and they won't install them due to the spacer. The spacer limits the turn on the lugs to 4.5 turns, discounts minimum turns is 10. So we started talking wheels. They are trying to keep me at a 15' aluminum wheel so I can stay at the 33/10.50/r15 tire. I am waited for a test wheel to show up for a fit. In the meantime I thought I would ask if anyone has this setup with aftermarket wheels. What size wheel do you have and type? I am out on spacers or extending my studs. My 40 is my DD and I don't want to nickel and dime piecing parts together. Man a fre states that stock oem steel wheels will not work with these brakes. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Looked around and found maybe one post from a fellow mudder. I have the wildwood brakes installed with oem steel wheels and a spacer to clear the calipers. (7/70 fj40). I went to discount tire to get some rubber overdrive (33's) and they won't install them due to the spacer. The spacer limits the turn on the

take them home and put them on yourself. All the big tire shops have the same attitude. My sister took in her FJ60 that had 1/4" spacers to clear stock calipers.
They'd been on for years. She bought a set of 33"Goodyear MTR's and they wouldn't install them so she drove home removed her tires and wheels brought them back in her truck where they mounted and balanced the new ones. She took them home and put them on herself. A year ago and they still haven't fallen off.
I ran the same 1/4" spacers on a 40 for over 15 years without a problem

Well the spacer is already showing signs of wear and has a crack forming. Spending $350 on wheels isn't that bad.

Well the spacer is already showing signs of wear and has a crack forming. Spending $350 on wheels isn't that bad.

How does a spacer show "signs of wear"?
please post a picture

It has a crack that is starting to form, I'll post a pic later

Last edited:
The fit changes from brand to brand with wheels. In some brands a 3.5" backspace works, in others 3.25.
It depends on the profile of the center. Anymore I buy 2.75. They always fit and 3.25 are generally a special order if available at all

So do you have a setup similar to mine right now?

if you need to buy another spacer, they are only, like, $20 from Marlin

but yeah, post a pic of the problem . . .

also, Discount Tire mounts and rotates (and warranties) my tires - they never had a problem with the spacers :confused:

Thanks for the info, I think discount is leary about the fours turns total out of my lugs due to the spacer. They said they need a minimum of 10 turns. Frankly I am not real crazy about them, spacers that is.

I do not think four turns is safe...AT ALL!

And just because you have the option of mounting the tires/wheels yourself, A does not equal B. Neither is the situation consist of these two unsafe options.

I ended up in an even weirder, but similar situation on my FJ45, sporting steel wheels!

I bought longer wheel studs. Dorman sells them. Problem solved...safely.;)

Best

Mark A.

I do not think four turns is safe...AT ALL!

And just because you have the option of mounting the tires/wheels yourself, A does not equal B. Neither is the situation consist of these two unsafe options.

I ended up in an even weirder, but similar situation on my FJ45, sporting steel wheels!

I bought longer wheel studs. Dorman sells them. Problem solved...safely.;)

Best

Mark A.

Thanks Mark, I agree there should be no reason to cut corners on safety just to make it work. I see too many people who pay the price from that at work. (Fireman) Like I said if I have to buy solid black wheels then so be it. If the tester wheel I go look at tomorrow doesn't work and I go to a 16'' wheel then maybe I'll revisit getting new spacers and studs, maybe. My 40 is my DD and the shorter time she's out of service the better. I really started this thread to get an idea from fellow mudders who have the wildwood brakes and possibly using a 15'' aftermarket wheel. I am really wanting to stay with the 33/10.50/15 tires. But keep the ideas coming, it's really been a good educational experience. .

So here is an update, I am pretty sure my oem wheels are for disc brakes.

image-1539713255.jpg

And now my new tires and 15'' wheels with a 4'' backspace are installed and wow is it snug. No rubbing on the steering components, clears the calipers also. But it's tight! The pics aren't the best but there is enough space for everything to work. I hope...

image-3415098102.jpg

image-2201779945.jpg

image-4235550776.jpg
image-1539713255.jpg
image-3415098102.jpg
image-2201779945.jpg
image-4235550776.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom