Wheels: Alloy vs. Steel (1 Viewer)

Steel or Alloy

• Black Steel

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Alloy

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I need to poll the wisdom of the crowd. History ...

When I bought the 4Runner I installed alloy wheels on it with AT tires. As time went on, I decided to get a second set of steel wheels for MT tires. I've decided to go back to only one set of wheels. So, I have a choice, steel or alloy. What ever I don't use will be sold.

I'm curious what you all think. I'm not looking for how pretty, or tough, those wheels will make the truck look. I'm thinking more function over form.

Thoughts? Poll attached.

alloy wheels run truer and wont bend but they will break

I voted for steel. I think it's easier to weld rockrings and beadlockers :D

overall, I say keep both so that you have additional spares. long weekend in the desert? bring 2 spares

If your alloys are US made I'd pick those. The eagles currently on the 4Runner are older US made ones and take a lot of abuse really well.
The set of steelies on the rock truck are totally bent up, one is like a potato chip, bent at the hub. But they do still all hold air.

The "JJ" spec factory toyota alloy rims are burly
I've really beat the 15x7 tacoma alloys on the pickup with so far no repercussions.
The 4Runner's getting a set of stock 80 alloys (16x8) next....
I actually see MPG improvement with my stock alloys over steel and they're so much smoother on the road. Like T says, alloys can frag which can be catastrophic, but I sure like the weight savings and the road manners.

I agree with Grant on the advantages of alloys, but...

As he said, "If your alloys are US made, I'd pick those." That's where the question comes up. I think it all comes down to the quality of the alloy wheels. On Ellen's Highlander (which does not get wheeled, but has been known to hit an occasional curb or two), the stock Toyota alloy wheels (JJ spec) have had no issues since late 2005 - still good as new. However, we got her some Voxx alloys to run winter tires, and they are only on the truck for 3 - 4 months out of the year. I have had to replace at least 2 of the Voxx's (or maybe 3, I can't recall) because they have been bent or are otherwise not running true. I am not sure where they are made, but they are clearly not holding up anywhere as well as the stock Toyota alloys.

Personally, I like to run steel wheels for my 4WD vehicles. I have steelies on my 80 and my Tundra. I like that I can get out there and beat on a rim with a sledge hammer if it gets bent out in the field, and not worry about breaking a rim. Steel wheels are obviously heavier, but especially with the lifted Cruiser, I don't mind a little extra weight down low compared to the center of gravity. Maybe that little bit of extra weight down low will keep me from tipping over some day. So I voted for steel. I think it makes more sense for off-roading.

Alloy wheels will always get my vote but only if they're OEM Alloys. I've never ran aftermarket alloys so I can't comment on their durability. I know that I've beat the piss out of both of my rigs and these OEM alloys are true. One set has 327xxx and the other set has 250xxx miles. Of course, only dark painted alloy wheels are the best :flipoff2: Remember, chrome won't get you home!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom