wheeling Thanksgiving? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
now I may be too early, but has anyone got plans for wheeling on the Thanksgiving weekend?

I'm all for a Friday or Saturday trip...

Has anyone driven the road that follows the railroad from Hyder/Montezume through the Gila Bend Mountains and comes out around Gillespie/Crag? I've always wanted to explore through there, just hadn't had the right time & mix of people. The legend in my ARIZONA Roads & Recreation Atlas states the road is "High Clearance or Four-Wheel Drive Road". If it is - GREAT - if not, than it should be an easy and laid back drive through a beautiful area.

Any takers?

I have plans to be in Mexico that weekend, but if they fall through I might be in.

D

anybody have suggestions of trails they would want to explore? I'll post some ideas as the date gets closer. PS: any capable vehicle/driver should be wellcome

I think Accasbel did (see above) sounds good too. If I have the 40 painted and back together by then, I'll be going.

Hi accasbel,

if the trail you have in mind is the same as "Agua Caliente Road" in the DeLorme Topo Atlas, we've driven it some time ago (New Year's 2000, coming from El Camino Del Diablo, we took "Tacna to Scottsdale" on dirt roads - sort of, hit the highway west of Buckeye).

Agua Caliente Road is pretty much a graded dirt road (it could have wash-outs immediately after rain). It didn't require 4WD at the time, don't think it would now. First follows the railroad, and then becomes very scenic in the sourthern part, winds through mountains and beautiful vegetated desert, less so as you get closer to 85 and the agricultural areas on the eastern side. Stock vehicles won't have any problems.

I'm interested on Saturday. How about going down to Charlou Gap or Chiva Falls? It'd be nice to have a little challenge.

I too have driven the Agua Caliente Road. The road I'm contemplating for Saturday 11/26 follows the railroad tracks instead of looping around the hills. It may be a graded road, or it may not. And the topo shows plenty of side roads that go nowhere, they should offer a challenge or two.

Sethro,

any suggestions?

sledge916 said:
never been to martenez canyon, herd that is a cool run, I have not been to many places down south @ all, wheel mostly Northern Az.

Sethro

Many have said that Martinez Cayon is now extremely difficult. Many friends have cancelled trips and/or went and turned around.
One group made it though...a D90 and two H1's though the rock stacking was immense. After the D90's run he cancelled the Rover Club trip. The Disco's normally zip right through. The switchback section is now dangerously washed out. :confused:

yes, we ran Bulldog Canyon in the spring, including the side arm over to the North-South part of Bush Highway. It was very nice with all the wildflowers. Challenges would qualify it in the solid 3 range, we built up on one off-camber spot, and even then it had substantial pucker factor. Have not been on the portion that branches off in the South almost directly after entering the South gate.

For Bulldog Canyon, we would need a group permit (unless everyone had their individual permit), and would need to round up the final attendants pretty soon.

1356 is the one that goes east from 10 (Bulldog) just after the Cactus Rd gate to Apache Trail. 3512 intersects it about half way, the forest ranger said it's more challenging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom