Wheeling Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a chance to unintentionally do some moderate wheeling while tracking down an old crash site yesterday. It was a lot of fun to put the lockers to work. I managed to avoid any rocker damage, but the underside got a few bumps and bruises. :frown: On the way back down, I could hear a metal rubbing sound coming from the left rear at times. I checked it out, but found nothing. It's gone today and I still have no idea what it was.:confused:

So I was wondering how much abuse do you give your rigs, what is most likely to break on the trail, and how much time/money have you spent replacing damaged parts?

I try not to be too hard on vehicles and prolly won't do what I did yesterday again unless I have a spotter with me.

Check your exhaust hangers. Especially the rear ones.

I cut off most anything that breaks. :D Including the last 2-3 feet of exhaust.

-Spike

It wasn't anything on the exhaust. It was coming from the wheel and changed with speed. Thanks though.

did you spin up some small rocks or was it all solid? you may have gotten one in between the wheel and dust sheild on the brakes. FWIW and they do come off and wear away quick too

Jenny,

With the level of experience I hear talking, you're driving a vehicle that would only be damaged cosmetically by your sojourns. I'd be willing to bet that the physical banging and pounding you'd have to endure in order to damage something would be beyond your comfort level at this point. Now, if the bug catches you and you spend more time "out there" then all bets are off as you get more and more interested in pushing things, but that's my call on your current situation. If you're moving that way, consider tougher tires (like the ones I currently have for sale - hint), more aggressive maintenance, and some casual or better level of offroad instruction through a DVD or axtual experience.

Most of all, bring a friend, proper gear to walk home while eating if needed in any weather, some communication (cell, C/B, FRS,etc

DougM

I don't know. This was no picnic. I was crawling up a trail littered with bumper high and larger nasties. The hitch came in handy as a slider a few times.

I was just wondering how hard others push their vehicles and what happens when they do. I don't think I'll ever catch the wheelin bug since I prefer not to dent,scratch or break things. This 80 will prolly be stock till the day it dies.

Toyminater said:
did you spin up some small rocks or was it all solid? you may have gotten one in between the wheel and dust sheild on the brakes. FWIW and they do come off and wear away quick too

It was solid, but to/from the trail was five miles of gravel. It's time to rotate the tires soon. I'll check everything again when I do.

Jenny,
Careful.
I am hearing all the classic early symptoms of a full blown addicts on this site. (me included)
It starts with the following symptoms:
- I always like the look of the 80
then progresses to
- I finally bought an 80
- then progresses to
- I took the 80 off road for a little light wheeling
usually followed by
-I don't see myself doing any serious wheeling
which is of course followed by
- "I plan on keeping my 80 stock"
*Warning* - If you find that you have said any 3 of the above statements then you maybe and addict and are in serious denial.
I think I read bumper high something - future comment will be - so my front bumper is dented and I am looking for a replacement - which will be followed by the onslought of buy ARb, buy slee, make your own.
Best of luck, wheel the snot out that 80 they like it and please get some armour before you hurt her and even more importantly before you hurt your bank account. Now say this three time - I am an TLC offroad addict and I need armour

SOOOO in trouble. Start a savings account and see if you can get in good with Christo and CDan now. You got it bad :)

A good book for getting things figured out, and getting started, is the ''Four Wheelers Bible'' by Jim Allen, from Motorbooks Worksop. It is kind of cnetered towards jeeps, butit has good concepts, gear lists, fixes, trail techniques, build up info, etc. This is site is better for specific questions, but this is a good reference, and fun coffee table book.

PS. I agree with everyone else. You're curious now. You found a spot that'll challenge you a little. You'll meet someone locally that likes to wheel, and pretty soon you're looking for excuses to bang up your steps and replace them with sliders. I know I am!

Lucy said:
A good book for getting things figured out, and getting started, is the ''Four Wheelers Bible'' by Jim Allen, from Motorbooks Worksop. It is kind of cnetered towards jeeps, butit has good concepts, gear lists, fixes, trail techniques, build up info, etc. This is site is better for specific questions, but this is a good reference, and fun coffee table book.

PS. I agree with everyone else. You're curious now. You found a spot that'll challenge you a little. You'll meet someone locally that likes to wheel, and pretty soon you're looking for excuses to bang up your steps and replace them with sliders. I know I am!

Not to mention being out exploring and seeing things you probably wouldn't without an LC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom