Wheeling near Sevierville TN..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is plenty to run in Windrock that offers awesome views and doesn't require sliders. 22 in February could be a muddy mess that sliders aren't going to fix. I would suggest the contour trails in the north section of Windrock (53,54,61,62,etc.) during the winter. They have a solid rock surfaces and arent steep with great views of the valley.

Closer to Sevierville would be Hurricane Creek Rd towards Max Patch. Its forest service roads so don't expect high challenge but I have heard the views are great.

We have a group riding Hurricane Creek on February 13th. I've never personally been there, since it's a far trip for no obstacles - but the scenery and wildlife are supposedly worth the trip - and certainly damage free.

There is plenty to run in Windrock that offers awesome views and doesn't require sliders. 22 in February could be a muddy mess that sliders aren't going to fix. I would suggest the contour trails in the north section of Windrock (53,54,61,62,etc.) during the winter. They have a solid rock surfaces and arent steep with great views of the valley.

Closer to Sevierville would be Hurricane Creek Rd towards Max Patch. Its forest service roads so don't expect high challenge but I have heard the views are great.

awesome info thank you ... I was kinda thinking the same being the middle of Feb ... It could be icy , muddy, and slick

There's also some mild roads/trails that lead up to the windmills at the top of the mountain. Great scenic area up there.

As a local, I avoid the Oliver Springs area the most. The trails are hawged out from the atvs and its usually really muddy. The area are way many more "mountains" than the windmills. If you want high challenge then by all means hit the Oliver Springs area, but if you want long drives with great views with mild challenges thrown in, then check out the North Side stuff and even the North Cumberland OHV. The loops in that area are huge for around here.

As a local, I avoid the Oliver Springs area the most. The trails are hawged out from the atvs and its usually really muddy. The area are way many more "mountains" than the windmills. If you want high challenge then by all means hit the Oliver Springs area, but if you want long drives with great views with mild challenges thrown in, then check out the North Side stuff and even the North Cumberland OHV. The loops in that area are huge for around here.

How are the Sandmines trails? Never been on that side, but looks fun. Not sure the GX would be the right vehicle to take there though.

The Sandmines can be brutal. I have gone up it in a bone stock 80 before with little effort and some great spotting. Then I went with a Jeep group with horrible spotting and banged axles all the way up. If its bone dry you can take some higher off-camber lines to make it smoother, but when wet you just as well start out in the deeper ruts and hammer down. The views are great and its a cool trail, but I prefer longer loops with less axle banging.

I certainly won't be ready for any axle banging any time soon....:(

Axle banging usually also means driveshaft banging - which I will avoid until I have a spare to bring with me.

I took my stock GX up to the North Cumberland OHV one day and barely explored since I was by myself. Norris Watershed is pretty easy as well, but the dam and lake are pretty cool. Lots of coal mining/logging roads on the other side of the Cumberland WMA, nice views and easy going.

The Knox Offroad group just did a day at Outdoors at the Smokies, complete with pics!

I have some georeferenced PDF maps I have used around here and would be glad to share if you need them. Maybe I will be able to sneak away from the kids when you're up here and get another GX with you!

Please don't drive Norris Watershed as a wheeling destination. I ride mountain bikes up there and really struggle why folks want to create mud holes and tear that property up when there is 100s of miles available that better suit that purpose i.e. North Cumberland, Chuck Swan WMA, Windrock.

In my opinion, North Cumberland is epic. The views and solitude are unmatched in the South and it just keeps going and going. Its mostly gravel roads but there is plenty of dirt and always a road less traveled that creates a feeling of real exploration since the maps for that area are horrible.

Noted about Norris.

I hadn't heard about Chuck Swan for offroading before. Is it mainly easy gravel type roads or harder stuff?

Chuck Swan is mostly gravel and well-kept dirt roads from my experience. You'll have to see if the road is open, but if you're in Sevierville already, I'd go to Cades Cove (beautiful place) and take Parson's Branch Road from the midway point of the Cades Cove loop over to Hwy 129. It's a mild single-track one way road that an unmodified 4x4 can easily traverse.

If that's closed you could find some snow covered forest service roads leading up to Max Patch Mountain. Last winter the wife, dog, and I spent a day exploring that area before hiking up Max Patch. We took the Hartford exit from I40, Big Creek Rd to Gulf Rd through Martha Sundquist State Forest and made our way over to Max Patch Rd. Not any tough wheeling but a fun and pretty trek in 4wd on some snow-covered trails nonetheless.

I have some georeferenced PDF maps I have used around here and would be glad to share if you need them. Maybe I will be able to sneak away from the kids when you're up here and get another GX with you!

yeah that would be great ! ... we'll try to plan ahead as to what day we'll be out riding so you can make plans

Chuck Swan is mostly gravel and well-kept dirt roads from my experience. You'll have to see if the road is open, but if you're in Sevierville already, I'd go to Cades Cove (beautiful place) and take Parson's Branch Road from the midway point of the Cades Cove loop over to Hwy 129. It's a mild single-track one way road that an unmodified 4x4 can easily traverse.

If that's closed you could find some snow covered forest service roads leading up to Max Patch Mountain. Last winter the wife, dog, and I spent a day exploring that area before hiking up Max Patch. We took the Hartford exit from I40, Big Creek Rd to Gulf Rd through Martha Sundquist State Forest and made our way over to Max Patch Rd. Not any tough wheeling but a fun and pretty trek in 4wd on some snow-covered trails nonetheless.

the gravel and dirt roads i'd really like to do with the wife and kids i think thats somthing they would enjoy

I think Parson Branch Rd is closed over the winter. Here is a (bad) picture I took from one of the gravel roads in North Cumberland. Nice views though.

Edit: This was August of 2014 so much greener than what it probably is now.

NorthCumberland.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know what day and where you guys are planning on going. Maybe we can beat the record of 4 lifted GXs in one place.

Ok! Cool ... I'll get with @freddydt and our wives to talk about what the best day to go will be ... I'd really like to make the drive to Windrock if the weather permits ... the only issue I possibly see for you guys is we'll be there for Feb 6-11 so unless we go the first day we're there (Sunday the 7th) the remaining days are week days ... everyone will need to take off work or something

Ok! Cool ... I'll get with @freddydt and our wives to talk about what the best day to go will be ... I'd really like to make the drive to Windrock if the weather permits ... the only issue I possibly see for you guys is we'll be there for Feb 6-11 so unless we go the first day we're there (Sunday the 7th) the remaining days are week days ... everyone will need to take off work or something

Screw work, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom