Wheeling near Sevierville TN..? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A group of middle Tn FJ Cruisers are planning to go to Windrock for the 6th and 7th. If the weather's not terrible, I'm going to try to be there both days.

Is there a basic/simple list of offroad items needed for easy/intermediate/advanced trips? I ask because this is my current kit:
  • 12v air compressor
  • Cordless impact
  • toilet paper
Obviously I have the most important items covered, but what else is a good idea to have? Tow strap? Trailer hitch shackle?

Is there a basic/simple list of offroad items needed for easy/intermediate/advanced trips? I ask because this is my current kit:
  • 12v air compressor
  • Cordless impact
  • toilet paper
Obviously I have the most important items covered, but what else is a good idea to have? Tow strap? Trailer hitch shackle?

Those are all good things. One thing I bought early on was a set of recovery boards. I knew a winch would come but not for a few months at least. I have the TRED4x4 boards and they've gotten me out twice. They're way cheaper than Maxtrax too. Look them up on eBay. Once you high center though they're useless. Next best thing to a winch if you're by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone

• 12v air compressor
  • Cordless impact
  • toilet paper

you bring the TP ill bring the seat

OffRoad-TireToilet.jpg

I was going to add some words of wisdom, but profro has everything covered. So now my words of advice would be to see if you can get him to ride along with you guys.

Here is what I'll say though (as a local in Knoxville), Windrock and Royal Blue are fun but mostly for rock crawlers and ATV's. If you don't mind getting every inch of your GX covered in mud then you will have fun. I havent been to Royal Blue in about 20yrs, but I hear its basically all ATV now. I've never been to North Cumberland, but would love to go as I hear it is more about an adventure offroad in nature then just getting muddy...which honestly at my age is more what I'm about.

Close to you in Sevierville will be 100's of miles of Forestry Service roads...one of my favorite weekend activities. A lot of them do close in the winter, so make sure and check with the Forestry Service before you head out. You can find maps/info to Cherokee National Forest here or pickup some National Geographic maps on amazon or any outdoors store (Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville should have them) of wherever you are wanting to go, and they list all the service roads as well.

www.knoxoffroad.com is the largest local offroading club, they are a Jeep club, but their forums are a pretty good spot for local knowledge. There is a local FJ/LC club as well but I can't seem to remember the name.

I drive a heavily modified Subaru Forester (I'm here because I'm deciding on replacing it with a 100 or 120, leaning toward the 120) but I might be down for having some fun on the weekend if you guys end up going right away. I would love to go during the week, but I just used up my last personal day on Thursday.

Just watched some video of Hurricane Creek. That looks like some fun riding.

Hurricane is very different than it was a few years ago - so try to find videos in the last year or two. Much of the 'obstacle and mud pit' videos are no longer there.

I was going to add some words of wisdom, but profro has everything covered. So now my words of advice would be to see if you can get him to ride along with you guys.

Here is what I'll say though (as a local in Knoxville), Windrock and Royal Blue are fun but mostly for rock crawlers and ATV's. If you don't mind getting every inch of your GX covered in mud then you will have fun. I havent been to Royal Blue in about 20yrs, but I hear its basically all ATV now. I've never been to North Cumberland, but would love to go as I hear it is more about an adventure offroad in nature then just getting muddy...which honestly at my age is more what I'm about.

Close to you in Sevierville will be 100's of miles of Forestry Service roads...one of my favorite weekend activities. A lot of them do close in the winter, so make sure and check with the Forestry Service before you head out. You can find maps/info to Cherokee National Forest here or pickup some National Geographic maps on amazon or any outdoors store (Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville should have them) of wherever you are wanting to go, and they list all the service roads as well.

www.knoxoffroad.com is the largest local offroading club, they are a Jeep club, but their forums are a pretty good spot for local knowledge. There is a local FJ/LC club as well but I can't seem to remember the name.

I drive a heavily modified Subaru Forester (I'm here because I'm deciding on replacing it with a 100 or 120, leaning toward the 120) but I might be down for having some fun on the weekend if you guys end up going right away. I would love to go during the week, but I just used up my last personal day on Thursday.

Thank You for so much information @koretex on your first post LOL ... and welcome to the forums ... i think you will find a vast amount of info on the 120 series here as its is a fast immuring star of the offroad adventure world ...

Any snow/ice driving tips for us southern boys? Louisiana and south Alabama don't get much of that cold stuff. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Having just survived our first snowfall of the season, I have come up with a couple tips.
  • Go slow and use gentle inputs. Slamming on the brakes will not work but a long gentle braking will stop you
  • Use the 2ND STRT button (down below the steering wheel on the right side). This keeps you in second when starting from a stop which will help reduce wheel spin

Looks like Monday will be the day. We know it's a week day but we don't want to spend the first full day up there away from our families. We are still deciding on where but it'll be Monday. Gives us time to fix something just in case.

If you've run hurricane creek, how long did it take? Saw one guy did it in about 4hrs or so. We'd like to make a day out of this to get the most riding in we can. Anything else to ride close to Hurricane Creek if we do that? Haven't ruled out Windrock though.

Sent from my iPhone

anyone in the TN area that is interested in the WGW "Incognito" bumper and would like to buy ... I'd like to build a few and have them powder coated to bring with me .... save almost $90 in shipping and just pick them up direct from me in TN

I will be at Windrock on Saturday and Sunday. I would love to stay another day, but I have a new project starting on Monday and need to be at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom