Wheeling in Tahuya

Discussion in 'WA- Evergreen Cruisers' started by MLX450, Jul 31, 2005.

1. MLX450

MLX450

Did i spell this right? Tahuya? Well i was just wondering if a bone stock LX450 would survive. My buddy has a Lifted F350 diesel w/ 35's and i want to prove him wrong that i can out wheel him in my stock lexi. We might be going middle of august. Any suggestions? Will a CDL switch help? or should i remove my spare and rear mud flaps before i wheel? Thanks.

2. CruiserMax

CruiserMax

I have never been there but know others that have. It sounds like it is a so-so kind of place. Has a reputation of been more muddy than rocky, tight, hilly or off-camber etc. I bet that if you were careful with the sheet metal in the trees you will do just fine. You definitely have the horse power required for the puddles in a dry month like August...

Max

3. MLX450

MLX450

Thanks for the info. I'll return with some pics.

4. Rainy Day FZJ

Rainy Day FZJ

Do it and don't need to touch your rig it is fairly tight in spots for an 80 I can't immagine a furd 350. It is an OK place to wheel for the day. you will need to keep the windows up in August, it gets very dusty.

5. e rock

e rock

I'm going to be camping down there this weekend. We'll mostly be ripping around on dirt bikes, but I want to check out the new south loop which I've heard is a pretty good trail since it was re-done this past winter. My experience there has only been on a dirt bike (and a mountain bike back when I used to race in High School), so my trail perceptions are admittedly a little biased. For the most part, there aren't many places you would have problems with. As far as width, just make your buddy go first :D

If you get down there this weekend, I don't know where we're supposed to be camping, but we'll have a green FJ40 and a green CJ7. And some dirt bikes and my mom's Liberty and my sister's Explorer and my wife's Montero and... :D I'll see what I can dig up as far as trail maps go...

6. e rock

e rock

Update:

DNR website for maps and info here

I just printed out the pdf map on 11x17 and it's actually really nice.

7. e rock

e rock

Update #2:

It is VERY dusty.

They've 'potholed' a few sections of the trail so anything with open diffs is going to have a tough time making it through with any kind of poise. The holes are deep enough that you will probably want to remove your flaps and running boards if you have them.

Other than that, no worries. My rear end is welded and I ran the ENTIRE trail in 2WD taking the hardest lines I could find. I stayed off the rock piles because I couldn't afford to break anything, but IMO those are the only interesting parts there.

My suggestion would be to challenge him to a game of follow the leader. Keep score by counting the number of times each rig has to shift into reverse with a multiple point penalty for taking a bypass. You will school him.

8. Kazmanff

Kazmanff

I ran the trail about a week ago and they did do a good job of "potholing" with a backhoe, had no problems but I do have the lift and Toyo m/t's. It's much improved over what I remember from a couple of years ago. Saw a full size Ram out there, but there was no way he would be able to negotiate the south loop. Oh yeah, bent up my PS step, but that was pretty much hoped for. Gotta have a reason to replace according to the wife.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.