Wheeling Definitions: Light, Moderate, Etc. (1 Viewer)

So many questions arise around what to build for what type of usage, and NorCal Doug had the good suggestion of creating defintions that we could use in the future. Here is my take (originally posted to the Sliders or Tires thread):

Light wheeling = two wheel drive scenic stuff that makes you feel like a man when you drop it into low range anyway

Moderate wheeling = capable stocker, some small technical stuff, driver likely to put one tire on small rock off to the side of the trail and post picture to 4x4 forum

Difficult wheeling = moderate lift that keeps growing, more experienced driver, larger tires, gearing is starting to seem a bit high, propensity to spend tons of money on too much lift and unnecessary accessories that mostly make the moderate trails you actually run more suitable anyway. Likely to post pictures of rigs lined up at trail meeting spot

Harcore wheeling = locker(s), focus on clearance, suspension travel, gearing, strengthening vulnerable parts, tolerance for some body damage, a slow recognition over time that daily driving a hardcore 4x4 sucks and wishing you'd left it at OME and taken the $15K you would have saved for a few all inclusive trips to the Carribean

Extreme wheeling = size matters

:flipoff2:

Nay

The Difficult and greater descriptions mostly talk about equipment. If I get lockers, a 6" lift and some dents, can I call myself Hardcore? ;)

Hayes

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
4x4trails.net rates every trail across the country with the following scale. Since there are different gradiants, I think the numbers are a better description:

I would group 1-3 as light, 4-6 as moderate and 7-10 as aggressive.

Note: The ratings used for Moab are different, 1-5 vs 1-10. So the 3 trails in Moab are a 6 Below, 3+ =7, 4=8, etc.

Rating:
rate1.gif

Graded dirt road. Dry, or less than 3" water crossing depth. Gentle grades. 2WD under all conditions except snow. No width problems, two vehicles wide.

Rating:
rate2.gif

Dirt road. Dry, or less than 3" water crossing depth. Some ruts. Slight grades, up to 10 degrees. 2WD under most conditions. Rain or snow may make 4WD necessary. Usually one and a half to two vehicles wide.

Rating:
rate3.gif

Dirt road. Rutted, washes, or gulches. Water crossings up to 6" depth. Passable mud. Grades up to 10 degrees. Small rocks or holes. 4WD recommended but 2WD possible under good conditions and with adequate ground clearance and skill. No width problems for any normal vehicle. Vehicle passing spots frequently available if less than two vehicles wide.

Rating:
rate4.gif

Rutted and/or rocky road. No shelves but rocks to 9". Water crossings usually less than hub deep. Passable mud. Grades moderate, up to 15 degrees. Side hill moderate up to 15 degrees. 4WD under most conditions. No width problems, vehicle passing spots frequently available if less than two vehicles wide.

Rating:
rate5.gif

Rutted and/or rocky road. No shelves. Rocks up to 12" and water crossings up to 12" with possible currents. Passable mud. Moderate grades to 15 degrees. 6" holes. Side hill to 20 degrees. 4WD required. No width problems.

Rating:
rate6.gif

Quite rocky or deep ruts. Rocks to 12" and frequent. Water crossings may exceed hub depth with strong currents. Shelves to 6". Mud may require checking before proceeding. Moderate grades to 20 degrees. Sidehill may approach 30 degrees. 4WD necessary and second attempts may be required with stock vehicles. Caution may be required with wider vehicles.

Rating:
rate7.gif

Rocks frequent and large, 12" and may exceed hub height. Holes frequent or deep (12"). Shelves to 9". Mud 8" deep and may be present on uphill sections. Grades to 25 degrees and sidehill to 30 degrees. Water crossings to 18" and may have strong currents. 1-1/2 vehicles wide. 4WD required. Driver experience helpful.

Rating:
rate8.gif

Heavy rock and/or severe ruts. Rocks exceeding hub height frequent. Shelves to 12". Deep mud or uphill mud sections. Steep grades to 25 degrees and can be loose or rocky. Water crossings may exceed 30" in depth. Side hill to 30 degrees. One vehicle wide. Body damage possible. Experience needed. Vehicle Modifications helpful.

Rating:
rate9.gif

Severe rock over 15". Frequent deep holes over 15". Shelves over 15". Mud bog conditions (long, deep, no form bottom). Over 30" water crossings with strong currents. Steep grades over 30 degrees. Sidehill over 30 degrees. May not be passable by stock vehicles. Experience essential. Body damage, mechanical breakdown, rollover probable. Extreme caution required.

Rating:
rate10.gif

Severe conditions. Extreme caution recommended. Impassable by stock vehicles. Winching required. Trail building necessary. May be impassable. Impassable under anything but ideal conditions. Vehicle damage probable. Personal injury possible. Extreme caution necessary.

woody

Staff member
Admin
light: clearance of an SUV required, 4wd might be.

moderate: 4wd helpful, momentum works, 31's minimum

difficult: 4wd necessary, opportunity for stupidity to cause damage

hardcore: lockers required, damage expected, breakage possible

extreme: breakage expected, prepared to drive 1000 miles, break 20 yards into the trail, repair all night in camp, only to break another 30 yards past the first break...repeat until out of vacation time

woody said:
extreme: breakage expected, prepared to drive 1000 miles, break 20 yards into the trail, repair all night in camp, only to break another 30 yards past the first break...repeat until out of vacation time

This wouldn't be speaking from personal experience would it?????:D

Hayes said:
The Difficult and greater descriptions mostly talk about equipment. If I get lockers, a 6" lift and some dents, can I call myself Hardcore? ;)

Hayes

Absolutely!

Or are those ARB bull bars for when you have flocks of kangaroos invading your neighborhood :flipoff2:

Nay

Nay said:
Absolutely!

Or are those ARB bull bars for when you have flocks of kangaroos invading your neighborhood :flipoff2:

Nay

?? I thought all armor was for deflecting shopping carts in the mall parking lot??

Really though, I'm glad this thread is here. Sometimes I'm not sure what other folks consider "moderate wheeling, etc." and it would be nice to communicate using some kind of common terminology (although pictures quickly eliminate all ambiguity).

I liked the scale that Romer posted. Maybe a little too fine a scale, but I like it. Kind of like a climber's rating system.

The wildest wheeling I've done would be considered grade 6 or 7 on that scale, but that was before I got my 80 :cool: . Once the difficulty starts getting into the "body damage likely" grades, I'll probably bail. Not for this waxed and shiny kid-hauler--but I'd love to watch you guys do it!

Hayes

Ken that is cool I have heard of this but I have only read books and talked with people useing the 1-6 scale. 6 not really a trail more rock crawling challange more or less like your #10 Severe conditions. Extreme caution recommended. Impassable by stock vehicles. Winching required. Trail building necessary. May be impassable. Impassable under anything but ideal conditions. Vehicle damage probable. Personal injury possible. No not attemped alone etc.:beer:

Website
www.tralaz.org
I very much like and appreciate that cameras are not even mentioned under the 'hardcore' heading.

-Spike

Website
www.facebook.com
The 1-10 scale... with all the way to 4 and arguably 5 being the stuff that can be found in driveways?

And "light wheeling" not even requiring 4WD. ??? Sounds like what the tourists do in their motor homes. :(

Chop the low end off of these classifications if you want them to be worth messing with. ;)

Mark...

light: Wife won't know / friends will laugh as they follow you in a stock Camry.

moderate: Wife may be skeptical of dirty truck / friends will laugh, but need help after getting Camry stuck.

difficult: Wife will know you got truck dirty, buy her flowers. / Friends will ride along but tell stories of how they had a much more superior vehicle several years ago.

hardcore: Wife will be upset, buy her jewelry. / friends will ask if you know of anyone selling a cruiser.

extreme: Wife will leave you for your friend and take Cruiser in divorce.

woody said:
light: clearance of an SUV required, 4wd might be.

moderate: 4wd helpful, momentum works, 31's minimum

difficult: 4wd necessary, opportunity for stupidity to cause damage

hardcore: lockers required, damage expected, breakage possible

this sounds more like the diffinitions i can relate to:grinpimp:

Mark W said:
The 1-10 scale... with all the way to 4 and arguably 5 being the stuff that can be found in driveways?

And "light wheeling" not even requiring 4WD. ??? Sounds like what the tourists do in their motor homes. :(

Chop the low end off of these classifications if you want them to be worth messing with. ;)

Mark...
Hey Mark
would the glacier be in the 1-5 scale?

woody said:
LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom