Events/Trails Wheeling and Camping Deer Lodge, Montana Attempt 2 August 3-5th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

canadian bum

SILVER Star
Threads
Due to poor weather in May I ended up meeting Jeremy in Utah and we had a cool trip back up instead of doing the Montana trip. I'll be coming from Vancouver island so would be cool to get out on the trails and camp where I was intending on taking the group. We could stretch it out to the 6th for those interested. So let me know what you guys think, and I'll work on an itinerary based on what peoples timelines are.

Thanks,

John

I am flexible on an extra day on either side. Looking forward to getting out.

Jeremy has the week off prior too and I'm not sure where exactly he is going to adventure to yet. But it would be nice to have the following Tuesday as a travel day.

Working on a route to Deer Lodge through the Flathead National Forest staying as far from pavement as possible.

I am all good with that...just remember that I dont get very good mileage at the best of times and need to be able to carry enough fuel.

How much time have you got for this?

In a perfect world I'd be heading out Monday the 29th.

After checking out the lay of the land its not really possible to make a route in one end and out the other. Plan is to wander along the western edge of the National Forest and head into the mountains in search of camp spots and awesomeness as I go. First day is looking like 4 hrs to the border at Carway, AB, (from Red Deer), then another 2 hrs or so to Coram, MT, with an option to take the Going to the sun road or a larger highway further south. From Coram or more specifically Martin City there is access to quite a network of park roads/trails to be explored, most if not all of which is a one access point kinda deal until things begin to spread out. Plenty in there to occupy several days from the looks of things. Coram is under 4 hours by highway to Deer Lodge, so I may end up in the same general area for a few days before making my way to Deer Lodge. Not much of a plan, decisions about what to do when where whatever will be made on the spot as required.

After checking out the lay of the land its not really possible to make a route in one end and out the other. Plan is to wander along the western edge of the National Forest and head into the mountains in search of camp spots and awesomeness as I go. First day is looking like 4 hrs to the border at Carway, AB, (from Red Deer), then another 2 hrs or so to Coram, MT, with an option to take the Going to the sun road or a larger highway further south. From Coram or more specifically Martin City there is access to quite a network of park roads/trails to be explored, most if not all of which is a one access point kinda deal until things begin to spread out. Plenty in there to occupy several days from the looks of things. Coram is under 4 hours by highway to Deer Lodge, so I may end up in the same general area for a few days before making my way to Deer Lodge. Not much of a plan, decisions about what to do when where whatever will be made on the spot as required.

There is a road just south of where we will be going that kind of goes through the mountains I'll email you a pin later. Should be a good adventure for sure.

I can maybe leave Thursday afternoon, for sure Friday. I may just meet you guys south of the border.

Truck gets into the garage tonight to give it a once over. If nothing major pops up, Tori and I are in!

Pictures!!! Starting with myself and fjtent north of Crowsnest...

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

then on to the next couple days by myself in south eastern BC.

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Pretty cool sign, don't know why somebody always has to shoot everything full of holes.

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

This was a dandy camp. Far side of the lake is the US of A. Long way in, but worth it. Watch for heavy trucks. Exceptionally quiet night, almost unusually so. Lived to tell the tale though.

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Onward. Fixed a rear upper shock bushing failure here with a chunk of conveyor belt scavenged earlier in the day when opportunity knocked. Surprising number of cyclists on this section of FSR, getting closer to Fernie I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom