'Wheelin a stocker....uwharrie pics and some reinforcing questions(bent some stuff) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from a trip to Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina.

Had a BLAST. I've wheeled Uwharrie many times in the past, but this was the first time in the 80. I did manage to bend both my rear lower control arms ever so slightly and to bash in both of the frame mounts for said control arms.

I'm wondering if anyone has made "ramps" to weld on in front of the lower control arm mounts to help slide the vehicle up and over the mounts as opposed to ramming into them. I've seen Shotts' reinforcements, and I know that will work, but I'd like to help address the problem, not just add "beef" to prevent further bending. Also, I'm thinking of taking some box tubing and cutting it in half creating a U and welding that to the bottom of the lower control arms. I figure this will reinforce the control arms well and shouldn't add much overall height to the arms. Comments/concerns?

Thanks.

Oh, and everyone loves the pics! :D

Ledge on the switchbacks going up Daniel. Dinged my passenger side rocker on this, but that was it.:
115-1522_IMG.jpg

115-1523_IMG.jpg

Hillclimb on Daniel taking the middle line:
115-1535_IMG.jpg

115-1536_IMG.jpg

The "bypass" at Kodak rock. This is the line between the stocker bypass and the rockgarden line.
116-1608_IMG.jpg

116-1609_IMG.jpg

116-1610_IMG.jpg

The "UFO"/"Spaceship"/"Lunar lander" as my friends have been calling it. LOL Added the rocklights last week. That much light is amazing when night 'wheelin. The best part is everyone with me agreed that it wasn't disturbing to the other 'wheelers at all.
116-1624_IMG.jpg

116-1625_IMG.jpg

116-1626_IMG.jpg

Oh, and alkaline747trio, I saw you pass by hunt camp and waved at you, but you didn't stop. I was hoping I'd run into you, but was so busy Friday I forgot to send you a PM letting you know my plans. Sorry man.

Ary

Last edited:
May want to ebay some of those lights so you can afford a front bumper.

A guy in NJ made some new reinforced lower rear control arms mounts.

Ary,
Nice pics.

The ramp idea is interesting, any thoughts as to where it could mount?

Dale Sr said:
May want to ebay some of those lights so you can afford a front bumper.

A guy in NJ made some new reinforced lower rear control arms mounts.

LOL, I've got about $90 in the lights total.

I forgot about BRKLYN's lower control arms. I'll have to go back and read over his writeup.

Ary

You took your stocker up Daniel?!?!? Just curious if you turned around or went up the shelf. I was gonna stop, but was leading horsehead through some trails and thought it might be odd to slam the brakes to make a U-y infront of him, sorry man, feel bad for not making the effort to meet another cruiserhead. When I went back to hunt camp to meet a friend (also with a stock cruiser), I met two of your friends in the F-150.

Your 80 is doomed if you keep up this carnage (fun ain't it), nice to see that someone shares in the missing corner lamp (my trail carnage) which makes for a good cold air intake, too bad the dust was high this weekend, I was contemplating putting a piece of cloth over it.

So many stock 80's there this weekend (your's, mine, my friend's, and the guy I met on Dutch John). Just wondering, but what kind of damage did you get on Kodak?

I hope you decide to make another drip down here sometime, if not maybe I'll encounter you in 2 years when I move to Blacksburg (plan to attend VT, the pops is an alumni..).

Last edited:
HAHA, yeah, I took it up Daniel. Took a little bit of strategic rockstacking on the ledge, but all in all it wasn't that bad. Lockers are magic! :D

I lost a mudflap on Kodak and bent a lower control arm, but that was it. It did take a bit of "gettin it" to get up, but I made it. I don't wheel the cruiser this hard very often(definately the hardest I've wheeled it so far), but I feel if I take care of some necessary weak spots I can keep her together. I only have to wheel it till the mini-truck is finished(I say that like 'wheelin is a necessity, LOL, oh wait, it is! ;p )

Look forward to meeting you at sometime in the future.

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I lost a mudflap on Kodak
Ary

Hey, that's your que! Time to pull em' all, and durabak the fenders. :grinpimp:

"Friends don't let friends stack rocks!" (If only I could find that picture..) Makes me much more confident about my cruiser now, nowhere I can't go with it at URE! A little off topic, but how did you lose the front bumper? Also, I'd say keep the flaps...lets to know when you're getting too close for comfort IMHO.

Ary, do a search Shotts has the ramps on his truck. Several have welded angle to the lower arms. If you bent yours though you may want to consider straightening them as much as possible and sleeve them or just get some beefier ones. Nice pics :cheers:

Looks like a good time. Ive been wanting to run Uwharrie in my 80. Ive done it in my Bronco and had a blast up there. It would be much nicer to do it with AC though.

yea, and get some real tires too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom