Wheel Wells don't line up FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys just picked up my truck from the body shop and didn't notice this before but the Wheel wells don't line up with the rear axle.

When I originally bought the truck the wheel wells were cut out so I didn't notice that this would be a problem. Since replacing the tub and getting it on the frame I noticed that this is now an issue.

What are your recommendations for fixing this? Any input is appreciated.
passside40frombodyshop032211.jpg
rear40shacklereversal.jpg

It looks like the rear springs have been flipped. What are the measurements from front to the spring pin to the rear?

Worst case you'll need to fixer out some new rear springs and shorten the rear driveshaft.

If it wasn't already painted, I would just open up the rear portion of the wheel well. I did it to mine, mimicing the stock lines, when I went soa and flipped the springs.

Last edited:
It looks like the rear springs have been flipped. What are the measurements from front to the spring pin to the rear?

Worst case you'll need to fixer out some new rear springs and shorten the rear driveshaft.

x2, I think I see the military wrap at the shackle end.

It the military wrap on the springs is on the shakle side the springs were flipped without reversing the military wrap. You will be able to remove them and flip them back normal. It will move the back axle forward about 3 incehs. If you take a few measurments, stock it should be from the frame to center pin 19.5" and then center pin to shakle 23". People flip front and rear to lengthen the wheelbase.

Thanks guys I'll get some measurements this afternoon.

Sometimes they look too far forward when they're flipped around. There are ways to fix this. Get back to us after you take some measurements.

Is that a brake bleeder towards the bottom of the caliper in the second picture?

43 inches from pin to pin
3-23-2011 12-37-18 PM.jpg

Hoz,

By "center pin" they mean the pin that is in the middle of your leaf springs. In the middle of your U-bolt mounting plate. You have a pin that goes through the middle of the springs and seats in the U-bolt plate. Hope this is correct .

Dang I will remeasure, thanks Mossman!!!

Thats great Fast Eddy I wish it were that easy:)

Just flip the springs back if you don't like the wheel base. What are your plans for the rig? If you are rock crawling then you might like it. Open up the rear fenders and rock on. Daily driver - flip the springs back around. Good luck.

Daily Driver. I peeled the tub off this body that had the cut out fender and don't care for the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom