Wheel /Tire advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an interesting scenario and could use some input. I’ve had my FJ62 daily driver for 10+ years and the previous owner installed FJ40 wheels. I’ve been running BFG all terrain 31x10.5x15 tired. He gave me the OEM chrome FJ62 wheels if I ever wanted to switch back. They aren’t perfect but OK condition and would probably polish up nice. Fast forward to covid and finally pulled the trigger on a 78 FJ40. The 50 came with powder coated FJ62 wheels and BFG 33x10.5x16 mud terrains. I’ve toyed with the idea of putting the FJ40 wheels back on the 40. I thought I’d have to make this decision in a couple of years. Unfortunately, had a massive blowout in the 62 last week so any change/decision has been accelerated since I’ve got to buy a new set of tires. My spare was toast so I’m running the 40 spare on the 62 to get around town. I figure my option are:

1) keep everything the same and go BFG AT 33x10.50 on the 62
2) switch the 40 back to OEM and go back to chrome FJ62 wheels. Everything goes back to stock look with 33s. My bumpers and grill are blacked out so definitely increases the chrome on the truck.
3) switch the 40 back to OEM and do something totally different on the 62. Maybe go up to 16”??

I wouldn’t be opposed to option 3 if cost isn’t absolutely crazy but I haven’t had time to research options. I did search but didn’t see much except old threads talking about using 16” wheels from a 70 series. Would most folks just go back to OEM or are there “new” options I should consider for option #3? I hate being rushed on decisions and wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any options/recommendation. Apologies for the long post….appreciate any and all input!

KB

F6B0699D-9A21-4A3A-B50A-850AE00638CC.jpeg

Option 2.
Don't think those white wheels are doing your 40 any justice. Current wheels look good on your 62 but will look equally good on your 40. Also the classic chrome 62 wheels will look great on your 62. Buy a new set of 33" KO2 for 62. Win-WIn.
Also those aren't powder coated 62 wheels if they are 16" (not 15") are they?

Option 2.
Don't think those white wheels are doing your 40 any justice. Current wheels look good on your 62 but will look equally good on your 40. Also the classic chrome 62 wheels will look great on your 62. Buy a new set of 33" KO2 for 62. Win-WIn.
Sorry the 16 was a typo….40 has 15” wheels as well. Appreciate the input!

Option 2.

While the above is likely the right option, I love the look of 40 steelies on an 60 series. I think I would just keep things as they are and get yourself a set of 33BFG's for the 60. Less work.

2) switch the 40 back to OEM and go back to chrome FJ62 wheels.

I was under the impression that here in the states the wagon wheels were OEM option for the 40 series. Maybe more for later 80's year models? Dunno. I'm a 40 series idiot so I'm prolly wrong here. I think both your trucks look fine as they are. Wish I were you.

IMHO I prefer the 40 wheels on the 40 and the 6-spokes on the 62. Either way is fine and both wheels will look great with 33x10.5's. or 31x10.5's so long as you stay with stock brakes. I upgraded to 4-runner brakes and have to run 17" wheels now. Tundra brakes fit the 16" 70 wheels though. 16" seem to have the best tire size selection.

I would set up one with 31's and the other with 33's - try them both out and see which one you like best on whichever size.
I would think that the 31's would be better for road work, the 33's better for off-road, so which one do you use for what? You can swap them whenever you can be bothered, so the two sizes I think is a good idea.
For mine, I actually really don't like the black steels on the 60, but the white on the 40 look good - here in Oz the wheel most often seen on a 40 series is a "sunraysia" white spoke wheel, which looks a little like what you have, so it is what I am used to on them.
But keep in mind that what I like makes absolutely no difference to you - I will never see it, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom