Wheel stud question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
I am running alum wheels. I am using a lock washer and a closed chrome lug. (lugcentric) My wheel studs don't stick out when the wheels are set on the hub. Are my studs long enough? Should the studs poke out from the wheel some? Would a longer stud be safer? I plan on using a .5" wheel spacer up front.... I will need a .5" longer set of studs... what size would that be? (length and thread) Who sells them? I am plannig on ordering all new studs (24). I am not sure of the size and where to get them. Opinions on stud size please.

i run aluminum wheels also, no washer though. i dont know if this brand is available in your area but DORMAN makes all sorts of studs, i got some that were about 44mm long i think stock is around 38mm, any way part # is 610-265 10 peices to a box and they are M12-1.5X44.8MM wheel studs. they fit perfect in my 76. any good auto parts place that has a good selection of nuts and bolts should be able to get them for you. hope this helps a bit, cant remember how much but i think they were like a $1.50 each. good luck! oh and yes they should stick out a bit from the wheel, be careful there, i would get longer studs and skip the lock washer.

Hopefully the studs on those adapters are longer than stock.....

lone gunman said:
i run aluminum wheels also, no washer though. i dont know if this brand is available in your area but DORMAN makes all sorts of studs, i got some that were about 44mm long i think stock is around 38mm, any way part # is 610-265 10 peices to a box and they are M12-1.5X44.8MM wheel studs. they fit perfect in my 76. any good auto parts place that has a good selection of nuts and bolts should be able to get them for you. hope this helps a bit, cant remember how much but i think they were like a $1.50 each. good luck! oh and yes they should stick out a bit from the wheel, be careful there, i would get longer studs and skip the lock washer.

Great Info!!

Dorman (is it the correct spelling? "Dormann" maybe? Not sure) is available most everywhere and if any parts place doesn't have these they CAN get them. If they deny it go somewhere else.

Woody, the part number and description of these longer-than-stock wheel studs ought to be included in the "Tech Trivia" list, no?

Too many people riding around with wheels barely held on. A guy around here lost an FJ80 wheel off his FJ40 because of this. It wrecked his cruiser and the wheel went off into a field headed for a stream and was never seen again. Coulda' killed somebody.

I am using a bolt on disc brake kit... This adapter will be mounted infronnt of rotor. This will provide the wheel with its own set of studs. The wheel won't have to share the stud with the rotor.....it wi have its on fange to seat on.. pics when part arrives

Another source for longer studs are those for the rear of an 83-84 FJ60. 1.75" long approx. If the Dorman's are only a buck and a half they are cheaper than the Toyota.

Don't wanna be a downer, but If you plan on wheeling this rig I would get rid of the aluminum, seen way too many come off and break all the studs. I can't even imagine using spacers with aluminum rims. (3 wheel trucks don't drive to straight)

Franky40 said:
Don't wanna be a downer, but If you plan on wheeling this rig I would get rid of the aluminum, seen way too many come off and break all the studs. I can't even imagine using spacers with aluminum rims. (3 wheel trucks don't drive to straight)
amen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom