Wheel stud is jacked..advice on getting wheel off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While attempting to rotate tires I smoked a wheel stud on the drivers side front. I was able to get all other lugs off but the last one is stuck on the stud, which has stripped or unseated from the back. The nut/stud just spins and spins. Can't tighten or loosen it. I've tried levering the tire against the nut to get some bite but no luck. I'm not sure where to go from here. I have Level 8 Trackers, so the nut is recessed into a deep well which won't allow clearance for a nut splitter. I thought about trying to drill it off but the nut is so deep I think I'd just make a whole in the cap and not have much effect otherwise. I know the wheel and rotor have to come off to get to the studs, but how to I do that with the wheel stuck on the vehicle?

20161114_141332.jpg

pull the hub; open the freewheel cover, remove snap ring, remove freewheel housing, remove big nut, tab washer and adjuster nut, remove flat washer and outer bearing, replace adjuster nut and pull wheel/hub off of the spindle leaving behind the inner bearing and seal...you can then grind the head off the lug stud. order doorman 610-264 IIRC...the one that Oriellys specd is way too short and has pn 610-266...may as well do the all, right? inspect the hub to make sure the hole isn't too galled to take the new stud. HTH

as lambcrusher said. Or in simpler terms, pull the hub and grind off the stud.
Since that stud has spun, there may be damage to its mounting hole on the hub.

I'm just suggesting this.....as an alternate course of action... Take a good "sharp" chisel and hit the lut nut square with it...5lb sledge in an attempt to split the lug nut. Obviously trying to stay square on the lug nut and not damage your wheel. This may or may not be realistic...just something that came to mind. Apparently some of the threads have stripped on the stud where the lug nut is "biting" and its allowing it to spin.

Or potentially try and force the lug nut down with downward force such that you might get the lug nut to grip and run down the stud a little bit, then try to get it off using a good air powered impact in one shot by reversing. I've seen where people take another socket or impact socket that fits tight on the lug nut and hammer the impact socket on to the lug nut and then try from that point, but hard to see how you'll obtain leverage in reverse in an attempt to get the lug nut to bit on the stripped out stud.

Yeah....the stud spinning in its "hole" is not good..... problems ....attack it as mentioned above **

See what others say before you take a destructive path that you can't reverse course from. what is noted above it a better path...

Don't buy the dorman or raybestos studs. The front dorman listed on rockauto is not correct.

Go with oem studs. I learned my lesson.

Agree with Alex.... definitely go with OEM I had a similar issue with my old studs on stock rims. Luckily was able to leverage and impact it off.
OEM aren't that expensive and well worth it.

Have you ever serviced the knuckle? If not it might be a good to get a knuckle rebuild kit when you order the new studs.

Oh well it's only money!
And TIME!.............

and the satisfaction of knowing that the work has been done right, and that you won't have to be back into that area again for a while.

Just checking, but have you tried using a impact wrench? migth work to get it loose, without rotating the stud as it's a lot different then applying a constant torque using a normal wrench..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom