Wheel specifications for 33x12.5 on 77 40 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Surely this has been covered years ago. I just couldn’t find the detailed specifications needed to order some old school pro comp aluminum wheels.

I prefer to not run spacers so trying to learn the proper backspacing terminology to order the right wheels the first time.

Build a 77 for a bud who wants the old school look of 33x12’s cause that was what he remembered from my first cruiser when we were in high school. He doesn’t care about road manners and spray from the tires. The cruiser wont see any wheeling. And it presently is on a set of stock wheels and 33”x10.5’ so he can swap out if needed. He wants the yello now to look like the green one.

Anyone know the proper terms needed to order up the wheels?

Greatly appreciated.

B8708B30-6DD6-4789-91A4-FF2DC19305F9.jpeg

He knows he is wrong yet wants to look out his window and see what he remembers when we were younger get and cooler. He has skinnies and just wants to have the option. We all know retro look is cool. Although wrong, cool as hell.

I will look at the link but the details from Jim may be just what I need.

Thanks guys!

Byron,
The cruiser is presently lifted and running 33x10.5’ s now. Perfect set up. But looking for the look of fat tires for a bit. Thanks for the check on the lift.
The green one is lifted on a 4” spring lift and for local cruising and shopping trips, no rubbing.

He knows he is wrong yet wants to look out his window and see what he remembers when we were younger get and cooler. He has skinnies and just wants to have the option. We all know retro look is cool. Although wrong, cool as hell.

I will look at the link but the details from Jim may be just what I need.

Thanks guys!
I hope you know I was just being funny. Every one is entitled to do what makes them happy. I went the opposite way. My 40 came with 33x12.50 /chrome wheels and I went steelies and 33x10.50

Sure did know you were being funny! All good!
this place needs mor humor cause folks tend to get too serious.
Your comment was perfect.

• Wheel Size: 15x8
  • Bolt Pattern: 6 on 5.5
  • Backspace: 3.75
  • Max Load: 2200
  • Finish: Polished
  • Offset: -19
Found some but cant find polished yet wth the 3.5 backspacing
Will the 3.75 work?

Last edited:
you mean 3.75 from the specs listed? maybe, maybe not. often it is wheel weights on the rim that interfere with the steering link ends first. so with stick on weights or other means of balancing it may just clear. if not a 1/4" shim is easy enough to use. but with the thicker aluminum wheel longer studs would be better, less of a concern on a steel wheel

If you really want to be sure it fits, take the existing rim off and measure it, compare with measurements and definitions on the manufacture's website:

They are listing offset for their wheels, so you can take the width (in inches) and figure out how far off center (offset, in mm) that width is to get the backspacing... And then measure that against your current wheels, and decide if they should fit.

I put 17" wheels from an FJ cruiser on my FJ40 and with the offset / backspacing the rear is too close to the tub and required 1" spacers (or a wider rear end). A lot of newer vehicles use pretty deep "backspacing" with the hub surface offset far to the outside of the wheel, and on an FJ40 it needs to be more centered, or the hub more towards the vehicle.

But also, consider taller wheels, they can solve some fitment issues on the front. Things like brake calipers, knuckles, tie rods that you'll have to worry about if a 15" rim has too much backspacing isn't going to come anywhere near a 17" rim even if it has the same offset, it'll just sit comfortably inside it. The decrease in sidewall might actually improve on road performance and mileage. And it kinda moderates "the look", to a degree, of huge black sidewalls (unless that's what you want).

It appears that Pro Comp has discontinued the 51-5883S3.5 that was one of the only steel wheels that was often chosen to fit the 40s with discs up front without hitting the TRE. (Although I know some had issues with them occasionally.)
I am considering calling US Wheel and trying to get something with a custom backspacing and hope to not run a spacer. (I would go with 16s if I did not already get a screaming deal on a set of 5 KO3 35s.)
Anyone have a current source for 15x8 steelies that don't need spacer or a source for longer wheel studs for front discs and steal spacers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom