wheel spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not a good day. I specifically got some rims w/ custom BS of 3.5". Stopped at discount tire last night after work to test fit some new meat. :eek: Guess what doesn't fit? F'ING RIMS! :bang:

I'm REALLY pissed about it, but i know they won't do anything about it. It's an odd rim (why i like it) and it just doesn't have enough taper to clear the caliper... So my really cool rims now need spacers...:crybaby:

Where do you guys find good quality ones? the whole point was to not use spacers and clear everything. Also - does it look odd to do spacers for the front, but not the back? Back should be fine since drums.

One day i'll have new tires and show off the Stockton Rims.

I know i should ask Stockton about these, but i've been gathering parts for years and these are 3-4 years old (new in box), waiting to finally be used... So i'm 100% sure i am SOL on that angle. I may ask, but even paying for shipping back would be $$, and better off using that $ getting new/cheaper rims at that point.

if it mounts up but the rim freezes on the caliper - how thick should i go on spacer? .25 - .50 or thicker? Or grind a bit off (problem?)?!? There is that horzontal tab mid caliper that it rocks on and it looks like slight contact on leading edge/corner of caliper...

thx guys!

rob

As a former brake caliper designer I would never suggest grinding on a caliper. I know folks do it and it works. For this caliper. What happens when they need a new one in BFE? Wear parts should always be standard/stock, at least to something.

I'd go with steel or non cast aluminum spacers. The cast aluminum spacers crack easily. If you're determined and have access to a drill press making some from steel isn't too difficult. Time consuming, but not difficult.

Are your wheel studs long enough to maintain enough thread engagement in the lug nuts?

Last edited:
I've run .25 inch spacers up front on a couple of my rigs to clear the caliper. It doesn't look any different.

thanks guys. i didn't measure what was sticking out so can't determine if the studs are going to be long enough. I think so, but will check before fully swapping tires/rims. I can always go back to stock rims/33x9.5's.

So steel spacers are the way to go (no drill press). Recommended place to order? Or even part number? (don't recall bolt pattern...6x5.5?...bet that's important)

so that just leaves how big of a spacer... I guess i'll be jacking the truck up tonight to see how far out it needs to go. I'm guessing .25 or .50 inch.

fun... Oh well - c'est la vie.

Appreciate the help as always!

rob

With .25" spacers and OEM studs, the lugs are going to grab plenty.

I get them hand tight, go in and adjust the back ones to make sure they are exactly centered, then torque em down.

If the studs seem shady though, or if you are missing any, go ahead and replace them with ARPs

EDIT: I guess I should include...ON STEELIES

and I think I read that Jegs has em, not sure

Last edited:
S&S - DAMN those are expensive... well not all, but some!

I guess i need to get measurements and figure out what will fit. Then pick someplace to get some. I found some on fleabay for 40... but think i'll spend a bit more if i can find some good ones. Hard to find steel ones - everyone has aluminum.

6x5.5 - anyone else have suggestion for less than 1" spacers? i've found a ton, but almost all are 1" or larger, and all i've found so far have been aluminum.

Thx!

rob

Aluminum, so long as it's plate or 'billet' is OK, it's just those "Cal Custom" cast one and the like that you really don't want.

To make them there's a trick that works slick for getting the stud holes:
1) Center punch the center of the eventual spacer
2) Using a compass scribe the 5.5" dia circle
3) pick a starting point on the scribed circle and center punch there
4) Using the compass with the same setting set one end in the center punch divot and scribe an arc crossing the circle on both sides.
5) Center punch those marks & repeat the scribe operation
6) When you get to the last hole note that there is an error, but that it's fairly small. Scribe the location from both sides, and center punch centered between them.
7) Drill on the punch marks. A slightly large hole will absorb the small error.

These numbers are from my 60's front hub:
6 x 5.5 wheel spacer.jpg

S&S - DAMN those are expensive... well not all, but some!

I guess i need to get measurements and figure out what will fit. Then pick someplace to get some. I found some on fleabay for 40... but think i'll spend a bit more if i can find some good ones. Hard to find steel ones - everyone has aluminum.

6x5.5 - anyone else have suggestion for less than 1" spacers? i've found a ton, but almost all are 1" or larger, and all i've found so far have been aluminum.

Thx!

rob

Well I only needed to buy two so it wasn't that bad for me.

I had the same problem. I got my .25" spacers from Jegs. Works great, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom