1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel spacers

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by lovetoski, Feb 4, 2004.

1. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

My fj60 has a MAF 2.5" lift, with 33X9.5 tires on stock rims. Everything is tight, and it runs straight down the road. Am wondering though about spacers...the ones that bolt onto the hubs. Wouldn't this give me a bit of additional stability, due to the additional width? 1.5" seems like a reasonable width. In reading/researching on the archives, there might be some additional stress on bearings, and the turning radius might be wider. These seem like minor trade-offs for the additional stability.

It seems like a reasonable mod...am I missing something?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Doug Graham

2. theferg

theferg

Media:
    You've got it. Just make sure they're legal in your state (or be sure to atleast be aware whether or not they're legal) and make sure you get them on TIGHT. I didn't and ended up bustin' off two wheel studs from my hub and shreddin' another. Luckily nothin' worse happened (like my wheel flyin' off), but that's only 'cause I figured out what was goin' on and *limped* my way down to my buddies shop.

I personally won't run them ever again--not worth the risk to me. Besides, you can get a set of new steel wheels with custom backspacing for less (or equal value if you want 5 wheels).

-Ferg-

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

1 1/2" spacers are no different than wheels with 2" backspacing. They add the same amount of stress and turn radius. You will be a bit more stable and you will also gain inner fender clearance and TRE clearance for highsteer.

4. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Some added stress to bearings and races. While lateral stability may go up steering stability will not. The farther out you hang the tires the more it will tend to wander when on the road.

5. hammerhead

hammerhead

A slight increase in toe-in helps to reduce on-road wander. You also will notice an increase in scrub and impact transfer through the steering. With PS it is no problem but without PS a solid impact at the outer edge of the tire can rip the steering wheel from your hands. A steering damper or stabilizer will lessen the effect.