Wheel Spacer torque for a 94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up some 1.5" wheel spacers from trail gear: Trail-Gear Inc > Wheel Spacers
They did not come with any directions as far as torquing them properly. Am I correct to assume about 90 ft/lbs for the spacer to the existing studs on the rig, and use the normal 108 ft/lbs for my wheels to the spacers? This makes the most sense to me, but I want to make sure I'm not overtorquing them. Thanks in advance.

Cstamm, I have my spacers at about 80 ftlbs and my wheels at 74ftlbs. I would not torque your wheels to 108 because having over torqued my wheels I once had 4 of 6 wheel studs break off while driving down the freeway and the cause is believed to have been over torquing the lugs. Know the FSM has some crazy high numbers, but that is my experience with my wheels and tires. You MUST check the spacers after the first 500 miles and should be checking them out every 3K after that when you're changing your oil. All the best, hope I helped a little

Cstamm, I have my spacers at about 80 ftlbs and my wheels at 74ftlbs. I would not torque your wheels to 108 because having over torqued my wheels I once had 4 of 6 wheel studs break off while driving down the freeway and the cause is believed to have been over torquing the lugs. Know the FSM has some crazy high numbers, but that is my experience with my wheels and tires. You MUST check the spacers after the first 500 miles and should be checking them out every 3K after that when you're changing your oil. All the best, hope I helped a little

This isn't entirely correct. Remember 92-94 wheels have metal inserts for conical lugs with a torque spec of 108 lb/ft. 95-97 wheels use shank/washer lugs with a torque spec of 78 lb/ft. Breaking a lug is not due to over torquing the nuts.

I run the same type of wheel spacers but in a 1". I torqued the spacer to 110 lb/ft and my shank/washer lugs to the same. You will not hurt the 95-97 wheels or the aluminum spacers by torquing them to 110 lb/ft.

As for the original question, if you don't feel competent to judge what torque should be used simply follow the directions. Wheel spacers to 90 lb/ft and the wheel to 108 lb/ft.

I have my 1.25 TG spacers torqued to 80 and my wheels torqued to 80 as well.

no issues.

i had my spacers on the runner at 100, wheels at spec...which was 85 i think. id go no less than 80 on the spacers, and factory spec on the wheels. just recheck the spacers after a few hundred miles, and you should be OK. dont forget the cherry flavoured loctite on the spacer lugs...

thanks guys, i'll do about 100 ft lbs on my spacers and my wheels. It was worthwhile to ask. Not sure if I want to loctite the spacers on though, seeing as I will keep rechecking the torque.

This isn't entirely correct. Remember 92-94 wheels have metal inserts for conical lugs with a torque spec of 108 lb/ft. 95-97 wheels use shank/washer lugs with a torque spec of 78 lb/ft. Breaking a lug is not due to over torquing the nuts.

I run the same type of wheel spacers but in a 1". I torqued the spacer to 110 lb/ft and my shank/washer lugs to the same. You will not hurt the 95-97 wheels or the aluminum spacers by torquing them to 110 lb/ft.

As for the original question, if you don't feel competent to judge what torque should be used simply follow the directions. Wheel spacers to 90 lb/ft and the wheel to 108 lb/ft.

I stand corrected, thank you. Like I stated that was my experience. Whatever the case/situation make sure you check them after 500 miles.

Any other opinions/recommendations from people on this? I have the same question but with my '97 with factory wheels. What torque spec should I use on the spacers and what should I use on the wheels? Does bolting the wheels to the spacers rather than the hubs require upping the torque spec from the FSM given 76 ft/lbs?

as I posted earlier, I had spacers and wheels both torqued to 80 ft/lbs with no issues at all. I have since removed the spacers, but I had run them for about 2 years prior to removing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom