Wheel Spacer Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a set of 2" wheel spacers on my '79 FJ40. I took it for a test drive and get some vibration in the steering at high speeds (around 50-60mph). Do I just need to get an alignment?

Were the wheels hub-centric? If so, are the new spacers? If not, is everything standard conical lugs?

Were the wheels hub-centric? If so, are the new spacers? If not, is everything standard conical lugs?

The wheels are hub centric and they are brand new spacers. The tires are balanced.

So are the spacers hubcentric too?

Pull the wheels and torque the spacers again, and often. You will be chocked at how quickly the lug nuts holding the spacers on can become loose at first. I think the studs are not seated properly or maybe the aluminum, not sure but they need to be re torqued many times initially after driving it.

X2 Moving the wheel 2" out changes the direction force applied to all the bearings not just trunion bearings. Lateral force is increased

I retorqued the spacers and they were still at specs so they didn't loosen at all after about a 20 mile round trip. Must be the trunnion bearing or a maybe a four wheel alignment is in order.

why do you think the wheels are hub centric and the spacers are hub centric?

Most are lug centric.

By hub centric I mean that the center of spacers are cut to the exact diameter of the hub.

IIRC Cruiser wheels were never hub centric.

Hub centric means that the rim centers itself on the axle hub. Most wheels tat are hub centric do not have acorn lug nuts (most). Jack up a tire at a time and spin them. See if anything wobbles.

They are aftermarket wheels.

You may hate me for this but why would you want 2" spacers? That will ruin your wheel bearings. All the geometry in the knuckle was engineered for the factory backspacing. Adding 2" put's huge side loads on the bearings. Unless of course your backspacing is 2" off in the other direction...

X2 Moving the wheel 2" out changes the direction force applied to all the bearings not just trunion bearings. Lateral force is increased

That will ruin your wheel bearings. .... Adding 2" put's huge side loads on the bearings.

Unless of course your backspacing is 2" off in the other direction...

Right, he didn't give any specs on his aftermarket wheels, so without that you only assume the wheel center line has had significant change.

brtn540:
-were you running the same wheels/tires before the spacers with no vibrations?
-Are the tires balanced, round, etc?
-Are the wheels true?
-Tried swapping tires front to rear?
-did you use loctite or similar thread locking compound when installing the spacers? Could give false readings when rechecking torque if you did.
-Alignment adjustments (most places will only do toe) are unlikely to have much affect on a high speed vibration only btwn 50-60mph, IMO. It could find wear on other items that could be contributing as others mentioned.

Right, he didn't give any specs on his aftermarket wheels, so without that you only assume the wheel center line has had significant change.

brtn540:

-Are the wheels true?

-did you use loctite or similar thread locking compound when installing the spacers? Could give false readings when rechecking torque if you did.

-Alignment adjustments (most places will only do toe) are unlikely to have much affect on a high speed vibration only btwn 50-60mph, IMO. It could find wear on other items that could be contributing as others mentioned.

brtn540:
Yes, same tires and wheels with no noticeable vibration at high speed prior.

Yes, the tires are balanced

-Are the wheels true?
Yes the wheels are brand new

I haven't tried rotating the tires yet.

I didn't use locktite.

I'm going to take it to a local shop that I trust to see if a 4 wheel alignment may help and get his expert opinion.

I would not use loctite on spacers. Once they are bedded in they seem to stay tight. Lug studs are designed to stretch and keep tight. An alignment will not help. You could get the tires balanced with a high end balancer that will check to see if a tire has a weak spot which will cause a vibration at speed. Likely its your trunion bearings.

I would not use loctite on spacers. Once they are bedded in they seem to stay tight. Lug studs are designed to stretch and keep tight. An alignment will not help. You could get the tires balanced with a high end balancer that will check to see if a tire has a weak spot which will cause a vibration at speed. Likely its your trunion bearings.

Thanks for the info I'll definitely the trunion bearing route. The vibration isn't a huge deal just noticeable to me. I'm actually more worried about the lug studs not being long enough when I mounted the spacers. They are probably seated half way through the lug nut. I may need to get longer studs.

Seated only half of the nut is bad..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom