Wheel play anyone know what it could be

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the hub conversion on my LJ78 and noticed that the wheel could be moved up and down left and right a little bit, thought that it was that the lug nuts weren't tightened but they in fact were.

Checked the left side and it had no play whatsoever, anyone have any ideas, and do you think I can get away with it being like that for a bit

thanks that was huge, now I know I have bearing play, anyone had to replace or fix this.

Otherwise I'm going in blind.

With a 54mm wheel bearing socket tighten it up a bit and see if it takes the play out without making the wheel impossible to spin or have drag. Other than that a manual hub conversion is way better than those automatic hubs

You'll either have 2 large flat 54mm (I use 2 1/8" socket) nuts with a tabbed washer in between or one nut and an outer retaining collar.

In the first case, the outer nut is a jam nut to prevent bearing tension from changing. Remove it and the tabbed washer, tighten inner nut until play is gone, rotate disc back and forth, check for play again. Once play is gone I tighten about 1/8 of a turn more, pound the tabbed washer flat or replace it, reinstall it, fold half of the tabs over on the inner nut, reinstall outer nut, and fold the remaining tabs over on it.

On our 77, the outer nut is replaced with a keyed retainer that mounts to the inner nut via 3 tiny torx bolts. Very slick compared to the jam nut and washer and easy enough to figure out once you get in there.

Quote;
"On our 77, the outer nut is replaced with a keyed retainer that mounts to the inner nut via 3 tiny torx bolts. Very slick compared to the jam nut and washer and easy enough to figure out once you get in there."

Its the same on my 78, so I'm wondering if that could actually get loose, as none of the torx are stripped or broken. So I'm guessing its the wheel bearing, anyone have any experience with replacing this, or where I can get a reasonably priced one, also is it the same as an 80 or 60 series :bang:

The retainer only keeps the inner nut from backing off. Remove the three torx bolts, remove retainer, tighten inner spindle nut just enough to get rid of the play, if necessary go a little more to orient three of the threaded holes to line up with the retainer bolts, and reinstall retainer. If it loosens repeatedly you'll want to replace inner and outer bearings and races but if it stays tight I wouldn't sweat it. Our 77 was also loose when I got it...snugged it up 30k km ago...still good today.

good to know thanks for the reply, I was thinking I was going to have to spend hours tearing this thing apart, well I may still need to. 54mm socket is hard to come by in Vernon BC 2 weeks earliest

Worse case you can knock them up with a chisel or large screw driver and hammer (not recommended of course). The previous owner did this to mine and I replaced them with two new sets for about 20 bucks or you can just file any burrs down later.

Have a think about repacking or replacing the wheel bearings while you have the wheel off. They should be repacked every 30,000k anyway. It is not a big job and good experience. There is plenty of information on this site - search for front axle rebuild and you will get more than you need.

Regards,
David.

Last edited:
2 1/8th socket also works.

could be the person that assemble the unit used too much grease, tightened the locknut and now the grease has worked into the gaps and the nut is now loose. OR they did not tighten the nut properly in the first place and now is showing up.

while you are in there, if the bearings show ANY wear then it is time for new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom