Wheel Mistake - What Now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

After researching my best option for maintaining the factory aesthetic but going for an 8” wide wheel, I ordered 5 custom backspaced 15x8 US Wheel Series 75. I ordered these with 3-3/8” backspacing.

After waiting for a few months the wheels showed up tonight and....they don’t fit. They clear the TRE but they are getting hung up on the brake caliper. Are there any options for slimmer brake calipers? I can’t exactly tell how much material would need to be removed, but I did take a picture of where the wheel is rubbing on the caliper. The wheels did clear the rear brake drum.

Could you all lend me your ten cents? I’m really kicking myself for this, I did not expect the ID of the wheel to have such a lip on it. Thanks!

M

CF689524-AC66-40E8-BCE8-6012CF7B37E7.jpeg

ACC1D59B-5035-42DB-AE43-13013794FE76.jpeg

E5E477C4-452D-4C07-BFFF-F6D5C56DB262.jpeg

Spacers are your friend. I can’t think of another way around it.

Yep, clearing the front brake caliper is the biggest issue trying to fit aftermarket wheels to these trucks. It is frustrating AF!!
The spokes on most wheels don’t bowl outward enough to clear the caliper.
If you look closely, even the OEM chrome wheels clear the calipers by only a small margin.

You will have to consider spacers for those wheels to work.

where inside the rim is it rubbing?
is there a high spot on one of the welds?

1/4 inch wheel spacers should do you the trick and the local parts store should have them on hand.

Surprised they rub up to 3.5 “shouldn’t” have an issue

Spacers like mentioned above......I have read threads where guys shaved some metal off their calipers.....NOT recommended. I converted to the 4runner calipers, not sure if the dimensions are the same on the outside? They have two large pistons instead of one big one small OEM. They bolt right on, but the spacers would be the easiest most cost effective.

And BTW those look AWESOME! Post pics when they are on.

x2 on posting pics when you mount them. Those look about as OEM chrome as possible without throwing 80 series steelies or 70 series wheels on.

x2 on that. If you bolt one up and you can still spin it by hand it wouldn't take much to free it up. I had an inside mounted wheel weight balancer that would catch on the caliper slightly as I spun the one of my fronts. The lead weight just ground itself down and doesn't rub now.

Mvisio...the new wheels are absolutely beautiful and would certainly complement the lines of your Land Cruiser, but I’d first concentrate on those deteriorated braking and surrounding suspension components...do the right thing first and go forward with the “bling”.

Mvisio...the new wheels are absolutely beautiful and would certainly complement the lines of your Land Cruiser, but I’d first concentrate on those deteriorated braking and surrounding suspension components...do the right thing first and go forward with the “bling”.
Thanks you for the comments! Those are all on the long to-do list (and high up on the list at that) The tires on it currently are 16 years old, and I felt I may as well get new wheels with the new tires. Needless to say the PO did not keep up with it well.

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments. I will measure and order the spacers today. Hopefully I will have some good news and pictures in the coming weeks!

M

I ran into a similar issue when I installed 2019 Tacoma 17" wheels on my 2008 4Runner Sport Edition. The Calipers barely kissed them due to different backspacing. Wheel spacers took care of the issue.

As long as you clean the hub and use quality wheel spacers and install with red locktite you will be fine. I don't like filing down calipers and even then they'll be so close it's not fun.

I had to use longer toyota matrix studs for my application. Yours may or may not need them with the spacers / combo.

Again...backspacing has nothing to do with the mid-body of the wheel rubbing on the caliper. It is the design and shape of the inner wheel that determines clearance over the caliper.

Backspacing only determines where the outer diameter rim of the wheel sits inward/outward relative to the center body (or hub) of the wheel. The center hub of the wheel remains constant.
(Backspacing does effect other things that matter like clearing TREs, rubbing, etc....which is also dependent on wheel diameter size)

When moving to 16” wheels, I went through several aftermarket wheel brands and designs trying to find one that would not rub my stock calipers.
Backspacing didn’t matter. The SHAPE/DESIGN/Brand is what mattered.

Well as promised attached are before and after pictures. Ended up having to use 1.25” lug centric spacers from All Pro Off-road. Tires are 31x10.5x15 BFG AT’s. I was never a fan of too wide a stance but the look is starting to grow on me. I don’t think it’s too wide, but I wouldnt go any wider. Now onto the brakes!

059E2874-62C4-48A8-B521-FD708331570C.jpeg

C4A7EC95-478C-4FCC-B56D-F7DBE7C163ED.jpeg

C8E2A5FA-5109-45A5-B01D-8D317060B8CB.jpeg

Funny, but I literally just got some spam from Cruiser Corps with 1.25" spacers for $85 and free shipping.

Ordered a couple sets.

Will also need to do some cool before and after shots.

Looks great my man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom