Wheel Lugnut Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a newly purchased 1992 Land Cruiser. I also own a 1985 SR5 4Runner.

During service on the Land Cruiser I removed the factory aluminum wheels from the truck. I already had another set of the same appearing factory Toyota wheels with much better/bigger tires in the shop. I pulled the second set of factory Toyota wheels from the shop and went to install them on the Land Cruiser. When I mounted the first wheel I noticed that the original set of factory Toyota wheels used "acorn" lug nuts. The second set of factory Toyota wheels that I believe were from a 4runner that look exactly like the original Land Cruiser wheels used "Shouldered" lug nuts.

Both sets of wheels are the same size, width and offset. The appear to be exactly alike with the exception of the type of lug nuts needed to mount the wheels. I was able to mount the wheels that required the "Shouldered" lug nuts on the Land Cruiser with no issues other than the different lug nuts required for that set of factory Toyota aluminum wheels.

This lead to my question:

Why the difference in lug nuts required for each set of factory Toyota Aluminum that are exactly the same in appearance, diameter, width, offset and wheel center cap?

During service on the Land Cruiser I removed the factory aluminum wheels from the truck. I already had another set of the same appearing factory Toyota wheels with much better/bigger tires in the shop. I pulled the second set of factory Toyota wheels from the shop and went to install them on the Land Cruiser. When I mounted the first wheel I noticed that the original set of factory Toyota wheels used "acorn" lug nuts. The second set of factory Toyota wheels that I believe were from a 4runner that look exactly like the original Land Cruiser wheels used "Shouldered" lug nuts.

Both sets of wheels are the same size, width and offset. The appear to be exactly alike with the exception of the type of lug nuts needed to mount the wheels. I was able to mount the wheels that required the "Shouldered" lug nuts on the Land Cruiser with no issues other than the different lug nuts required for that set of factory Toyota aluminum wheels.

Why the difference in lug nuts required for each set of factory Toyota Aluminum that are exactly the same in appearance, diameter, width, offset and wheel center cap?
Pics would help to answer your question

The 1991 and 1992 used the acorn nuts with one wheel design (lug-centric), then the 1993 through the first part of 1996 used the acorn style with a second wheel design (lug-centric), then the late 1996 and 1997 whet to the shank style lug with the same wheel design (hub-centric).

The 1991 and 1992 used 15" wheels and the 93-97 used 16" wheels.

Acorn lug nuts torque to 109 LB-FT and the shank style lugs torque to 74 LB-FT. @NLXTACY has an excellent lug nut chart with torque values.

Last edited:
The 1991 and 1992 used the acorn nuts with one wheel design (lug-centric), then the 1993 through the first part of 1996 used the acorn style with a second wheel design (lug-centric), then the late 1996 and 1997 whet to the shank style lug with the same wheel design (hub-centric).

The 1991 and 1992 used 15" wheels and the 93-97 used 16" wheels.

Acorn lug nuts torque to 104 LB-FT and the shank style lugs torque to 78 LB-FT. @NLXTACY has an excellent lug nut chart with torque values.
Acorns on steel 109ft lbs no?

Last edited:
Acorns on steel 109ft lbs no?
Previous post edited for accuracy.
Thanks. It was late. I had a flat tire. There were locusts.

1649937152629.png

The what I believe to be original wheels on the Land Cruiser are 15 inch wheels using the center lug nut shown in the picture above.

The second set of wheels I have that are the same appearance, 15 inch diameter, width and offset require the right hand lug nut shown above.

The interesting part is that both sets of wheels using different lug nut configurations are 15 inch wheels. A previous post indicates that 93-97 wheels are 16 inch.

I "guess" that maybe the difference could be that I believe the second set of wheels I have that require the right hand lug nuts are 1st Gen 4runner wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom