Wheel ID: What are/were these? And AR172 opinions welcome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the catskill mountains and the delaware river, NY
I'm not familiar enough with all of the permutations of FJ80 wheels to be able to ID these. They were fully coated in bedliner or similar and when I went into the powder coater to make them permanently black, he called to say they're chrome. Obviously, it's not advised to powder coat chrome.

So, now I'm looking for some originally black wheels. Likely the American Racing AR172 Black Baja Wheels. Any opinions on those?

Regardless, the purpose of the post is to ask you geniuses for an ID on what these were or are. If I get some time this weekend, I'll clean one of them up. They look like stock, but chrome? Or are they just insanely polished?

They'll also likely be going up for sale if anyone around NE PA is interested.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PXL_20210921_205030352.jpg
PXL_20210921_205030043.jpg
PXL_20210921_205024695.jpg
PXL_20210921_205023628.jpg

80 series; 93-97, and yes they made a chrome version of them. There is a thread somewhere on here of what a PITA it is to remove the chrome if possible.

I'm not familiar enough with all of the permutations of FJ80 wheels to be able to ID these. They were fully coated in bedliner or similar and when I went into the powder coater to make them permanently black, he called to say they're chrome. Obviously, it's not advised to powder coat chrome.

So, now I'm looking for some originally black wheels. Likely the American Racing AR172 Black Baja Wheels. Any opinions on those?

Regardless, the purpose of the post is to ask you geniuses for an ID on what these were or are. If I get some time this weekend, I'll clean one of them up. They look like stock, but chrome? Or are they just insanely polished?

They'll also likely be going up for sale if anyone around NE PA is interested.

Thanks in advance for the help.

View attachment 2792980View attachment 2792979View attachment 2792978View attachment 2792977
Yes, there was a version of these that were chromed for the "chrome package" trucks. late 95 and 96 in black only, the truck also had chrome door handles, chrome mirrors, and some even had the chrome brush guard.

The chrome wheels were absolute garbage and have peeled to the point where they no longer hold air.

If I were you, I would spend ZERO money trying to refurbish those wheels and find something different, as they will NOT improve. They will corrode from the inside to the point of no longer holding air, both at the bead as well as the valve stem.

My truck came with those, and I have another set of OEM wheels I am working on cleaning up so I can throw those POS away.

Yes, there was a version of these that were chromed for the "chrome package" trucks. late 95 and 96 in black only, the truck also had chrome door handles, chrome mirrors, and some even had the chrome brush guard.

The chrome wheels were absolute garbage and have peeled to the point where they no longer hold air.

If I were you, I would spend ZERO money trying to refurbish those wheels and find something different, as they will NOT improve. They will corrode from the inside to the point of no longer holding air, both at the bead as well as the valve stem.

My truck came with those, and I have another set of OEM wheels I am working on cleaning up so I can throw those POS away.
thank you. order going out to american racing today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom