Wheel Fitment and Step Bars? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a newbie owner (one of those) of a '94 FZJ80. I have had to do all the usual repairs that most encounter on this forum (ex. Mirrors, visors, pwr steering pump, dash lights, pesky htr hose, seat belts, and ...). Now I was hoping to put some money in some dress up goodies.
WHEELS: I would like to use modern TRD style wheels, like the AGP Trail Warrior wheels. The specs appear to be spot on. I've heard these do not fit without a spacer/ adaptor? Why is this? If they can be used with a spacer can you please send me a link to a recommended set?
STEP BARS: Im over 6 feet tall and have no trouble getting in/out of the rig. My vertically challenged wife needs a step. My truck is a daily driver and weekend trail runner. It will never be a Rock Warrier, so I don't need rock sliders.
Can someone recommend a brand-model of a good heavy-duty step bar or heavy-duty running board set that will directly bolt to the 80 Series? I can't seem to find any, other than sliders.
Thanks to all of your help in advance!

Could always use the factory running boards some of the 80s got. Most people would likely give theirs away

Could always use the factory running boards some of the 80s got. Most people would likely give theirs away
Yes, the OEM running boards are a consideration, however I would prefer a bar /step look. If I can't find a bolt-on bar design, then I will seek out a set of factory boards. Thanks for the insight.

You can get the White Knuckle Off Road sliders set up at zero degrees for more step function, yet still have the piece of mind a slider gives you. And they bolt on to the frame vs the body like the OEM steps.
For the price of "nerf" bars that look like sliders and are also weak steps, I'd rather spend the money for real sliders that double as steps.

You can get the White Knuckle Off Road sliders set up at zero degrees for more step function, yet still have the piece of mind a slider gives you. And they bolt on to the frame vs the body like the OEM steps.
For the price of "nerf" bars that look like sliders and are also weak steps, I'd rather spend the money for real sliders that double as steps.
I checked the WKOR Sliders out. They are well-built and would definitely fit my needs. But, being true sliders, they are expensive ($1,000.00). I was hoping to spend about $500-$600 at the most. If I can't find a more economical option, than sliders may be my in my future. The only sliding my rig
does is in the mud and snow.
Thanks brother!

Economical=crap. Sell some plasma and get the WNOR “steps” at zero degrees so your wife will support your choice. They are great nerf bars that don’t make you look like a (insert insult here).

Bump it offroad is a cheaper alternative. Wait, aren’t they the same? I can’t remember anymore.

I checked the WKOR Sliders out. They are well-built and would definitely fit my needs. But, being true sliders, they are expensive ($1,000.00). I was hoping to spend about $500-$600 at the most. If I can't find a more economical option, than sliders may be my in my future. The only sliding my rig
does is in the mud and snow.
Thanks brother!
They also protect the side of your truck from door dings at the mall.

They also help reinforce the side of your truck from minor side collisions as well.

Economical=crap. Sell some plasma and get the WNOR “steps” at zero degrees so your wife will support your choice. They are great nerf bars that don’t make you look like a (insert insult here).

Bump it offroad is a cheaper alternative. Wait, aren’t they the same? I can’t remember anymore.
Economical = Fits my budget!
The obvious solution is to sell my short wife, not my plasma (no steps nesc.). Bonus, she won't b!+@h as the bank account drains into my 80.
Like those BIO products! Thanks for that valuable info; You da man. I will buy their board/steps if a better alternative doesnt appear.
Now, if I can get some definitive information on exactly how to mount those newer TRD wheels onto my old 80...

Ha! Short wife will take half of everything on the way out. Tread lightly!! It’s cheaper to keep her. Keep factory running boards (check classifieds) and look for a part out that may have sliders. Buy once, cry once fits here.

Economical = Fits my budget!
The obvious solution is to sell my short wife, not my plasma (no steps nesc.). Bonus, she won't b!+@h as the bank account drains into my 80.
Like those BIO products! Thanks for that valuable info; You da man. I will buy their board/steps if a better alternative doesnt appear.
Now, if I can get some definitive information on exactly how to mount those newer TRD wheels onto my old 80...
Bolt pattern will be a direct fit onto your LC.

Everyone that uses spacers recommends SpiderTrax. There is a very specific procedure to install these or you will kill busloads of Nuns and kindergartners.

You need the spacers due to the different "backset" of the mounting surface inside the wheel. Without the spacers, the TRD wheels will be inset too far and the inside of your tire may drag on the suspension while turning or flexing. Also, the general look will appear that your wheels are way too far inside the fenders.

You'll need to find and do math to makes these work correctly. There are multiple thicknesses of spacers available.

If you go to the Classifieds above, you may find some used ones.

Do a search on here for SpiderTrax or Spacers and you may actually find the needed specs to get them.

Like @BILT4ME said, the back space is way to much and I believe the center bore is smaller. We need the 108 mm center, I think those are like 106 mm. I know for a fact that '21 TRD wheels off of a Tacoma will not bolt on mine due to the bore being to small. Another good place to find wheel spacers is Marketplace, there is a set of spidertrax on there by me that have been on there for a few months. MP seems to be flooded with them.....

After a fruitful and informative conversation with BILT4ME, I have come to some conclusions. No spacers and wheels that require them. I need to find an aftermarket wheel that will be a direct bolt-on and have the proper back set. I'm thinking something by Fuel or Method? Open for suggestions...
Rather than running boards, I will spend a "little" more and get some sliders. Will look for a used pair first.
Again, many thanks to BILT4ME and COMET for their help. Landcruiser owners truly rock!

+1 no spacers. Just another regular maintenance check at best.
Also +1 for steelies over alloy, but not privvy to your use case.
What wheel size are you after? These are 16"x8" 139.7mm 4.25" BS and -12mm offset steels in 285/75's.
IMG_20210529_145223148_cropped.jpg

+1 no spacers. Just another regular maintenance check at best.
Also +1 for steelies over alloy, but not privvy to your use case.
What wheel size are you after? These are 16"x8" 139.7mm 4.25" BS and -12mm offset steels in 285/75's.
View attachment 3247990
I really like the look you have going. Almost a stock appearance, but more style. I'm not after that look with monster tires sticking way out past the body lines, like a lot of Jeeps running around (silly).
My data: '94 with a 2.5" lift. She has all ARB bumpers and a Warn winch (added by previous owner). Daily driver on asphalt with some light trail driving a few times a year. No rock crawling. She is old with 220k miles and I would like to see her do another 200. Yes, I'm really after the coolness factor with the aftermarket black wheels. I'd like to go to 17" x 9" size, as the choices in wheels and tires greatly increases.
Again, thank you'll for your time and suggestions.

I really like the look you have going. Almost a stock appearance, but more style. I'm not after that look with monster tires sticking way out past the body lines, like a lot of Jeeps running around (silly).
My data: '94 with a 2.5" lift. She has all ARB bumpers and a Warn winch (added by previous owner). Daily driver on asphalt with some light trail driving a few times a year. No rock crawling. She is old with 220k miles and I would like to see her do another 200. Yes, I'm really after the coolness factor with the aftermarket black wheels. I'd like to go to 17" x 9" size, as the choices in wheels and tires greatly increases.
Ah, then yeah alloy 17s is your best bet.
Still say no spacers tho. :cheers:

43 pages of great examples of wheels to run.

I’m personally all about the steelie look myself. Check out the last page in that thread for a pic of Fifteen52’s Analog wheel. A retro-look alloy that screams factory steelie, but is offered in the proper size and backspace. Plenty of rad options out there.

As far as steps. I’m guessing you’re in KY from your username, but I’ll have a set of factory running boards up for sale here in a few days. Otherwise… I’ll second the theory of going with a real set of sliders. Maybe you’ll never use them off-road, but for the cost difference of 5 fill-ups, you can have a legit piece of armor that will not only look great, they’ll protect your rig. And… if you get a bolt on set, they would easily sell on here if you ever changed your mind. Cheers and post pics of what you end up with!

43 pages of great examples of wheels to run.

I’m personally all about the steelie look myself. Check out the last page in that thread for a pic of Fifteen52’s Analog wheel. A retro-look alloy that screams factory steelie, but is offered in the proper size and backspace. Plenty of rad options out there.

As far as steps. I’m guessing you’re in KY from your username, but I’ll have a set of factory running boards up for sale here in a few days. Otherwise… I’ll second the theory of going with a real set of sliders. Maybe you’ll never use them off-road, but for the cost difference of 5 fill-ups, you can have a legit piece of armor that will not only look great, they’ll protect your rig. And… if you get a bolt on set, they would easily sell on here if you ever changed your mind. Cheers and post pics of what you end up with!
You guys have me convinced that rock sliders are really the way to go, even though I won't be running over any boulders. I have been looking at that Coastal DIY kit. I like the looks and price. Bad thing is I don't weld and I may end up spending more than BumpIt's ready builts, by the time I pay a welder and paint costs.
FFDawson, thanks for the tip on that wheel thread. However, I still haven't quite seen the look I'm after...
Most of the wheels I like are by Black Rhino, KMC, and Fuel. Seems they are all distributed by WheelPros.com. I called them and asked what would actually fit on an 80. They replied, "Go to our website, put in your truck, and all the options that come up, will fit." I told him several online sellers indicate that many will not fit. So, I asked the WhhelPros dude, why the discrepancy and what if I buy them and they don't fit? He told me they should fit and send them back at their expense, if they don't (just don't mount tires).
I phoned my local KY Landcruiser enthusiasts owned shop, CW4X4, and they said many wheels do not fit the front axle (although all fitment specs match) because of the axle's end protrusion and/or the wheel's center bore is not fully machined out to 106.1 through the full cross section of the wheel's hub. Now I feel like I've gotten to the root of the fitment problem...
The wheels I like are KMC137 FMC in black. I'm going to order 1 of these wheels and give it the fitment check. If it doesn't fit, I shall call WheelPros and be asking for that return shipping money. Keep you'll posted on how that ends up.
Many thanks brothers.

There is a set of WKOR bolt ons in the classifieds

I'm challanged...Can't find that ad for sliders you reference. Can you post the link? Please and Thx
I think he means these. He's in Atlanta and won't ship however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom