Wheel Cylinder Replacement on a '76 - Slot was too narrow for shoe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was replacing a leaking wheel cylinder and came across an issue I didn't know was out there until I searched here and it appears pretty common. Had to order an aftermarket cylinder since it looks like the one I needed isn't available from Toyota any longer. I installed it without any issues - very easy. Went to add the shoes and it wouldn't seat all the way down on the adjustable side on the new cylinder. I read where some people ground the slot to make it large enough to fit it.

The fix in case someone else comes across this issue - I was able to unscrew the insert with the slot and luckily the threads matched and was able to swap the old insert into the new cylinder. I was able to do this without removing the newly installed cylinder which was a plus.

Photo below showing the slot size difference
wheel cylinder_LI.jpg

Showing the parts that I swapped out - these are the ones I didn't use (I didn't think to take a picture of it until it was already swapped/assembled) but wanted to show how it came apart if someone needs it

wheel cylinder top (2).jpg

Good to know - I’m waiting on aftermarket wheel cylinders to replace leaks on the rear brakes of my ‘75 FJ40. Just curious... what brand cylinders did you install? My order says Made in Japan but assume it’s hit or miss to go on w/o a hitch.

Good to know - I’m waiting on aftermarket wheel cylinders to replace leaks on the rear brakes of my ‘75 FJ40. Just curious... what brand cylinders did you install? My order says Made in Japan but assume it’s hit or miss to go on w/o a hitch.
They are FIC. Look high quality and stout like OEM. When I called around afterwards it looks like most of the cruiser parts places get them from similar manufacturers. I called 2 other shops and one said they were waiting on an order to arrive and the other said they would have the same thing. One thought they had talked to me earlier in the day so I'm not the only one coming across it. The shop I got them from said it seems to depend on what day of the week they are built so some have the different sizes and others are the same.

I saw an OEM one at SOR but figured out the insert swap before placing an order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom