Wheel Cylinder Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
71 FJ40 with stock brakes.

I just put shoes all the way around on my FJ and I noticed one of the wheel cylinders is leaking up front. I would call it a moderate leak. It hasn't been leaking enough to show on the wheel, tire, ground or in the drum. It did however saturate the old liners. I would like to get this fixed before I drive it and ruin another pair of shoes.

Would it be worth the extra money to go ahead and just buy a wheel cylinder or will one of the seal/boot kits do it?

I have always been told that rebuilding a cylinder oneself was about 50/50 on whether it would leak or not.

I plan on keeping the drum brakes possibly forever, although discs are looking better all the time.

If you haven't already, Check with CDan on the cost of a new cylinder. I replaced all four rear wheel cyliders a couple months ago. I think each cylinder was only 50 bucks or so.

If it were me I would not put $1 into the drums and switch to discs ASAP. If this is a stock unmolested unrestored mint condition vehicle or period restoration then definitely keep the original drums and everything else as stock as possible.

Ih8drumbrakes so take this advice with that in mind. I run discs all around.

Would the cup kit I'm seeing on SOR replace the seals and possibly stop it from leaking?

JC39232 said:
Would the cup kit I'm seeing on SOR replace the seals and possibly stop it from leaking?

Not necessarily. Tried it and it didn't solve my problem. Still leaking. :eek:

My FJ-25 has had its wheel cylinders honed out (over-bored) so many times over 48 years that replacement cups in the cylinder won't seal them. And in my case, there are no new replacement wheel cylinders available for that model. And obviously I want to keep this vintage piece OEM stock, so a swap to discs isn't an option. So, I'm looking at a $340 re-sleeving job for my cylinders. :frown:

I'd bite the bullet and either get brand new cylinders through CruiserDan like Felix said, or make the switch to disc brakes as John Smith suggested above.

Good luck.

got some rebuild kits from napa dirt cheap, try it, not hard. if that doesnt work you may have to get new ones

I had 1 leaking before and bought just 1 replacemnt cylinder for $50 OEM brand new. Heard others tell me to replace all at once but replaced the one over 2 yrs ago and it's been fine.

I think I'll go with a new one from cruiserdan. SOR's are 60+ bucks and Napa doesn't even list one.

I'll take the old one off and see if it is pitted bad. Might take it to a brake place down the road and see if they can rebuild it if it is pitted too bad.

Thanks for the help everyone.

J

The RH side cylinders for the 71 are discontinued. There is ONE LH side cylinder in the US at the moment.

JC39232 said:
I'll take the old one off and see if it is pitted bad. Might take it to a brake place down the road and see if they can rebuild it if it is pitted too bad.

Thanks for the help everyone.

J

The pitting is commonly not in the sealing area for the piston seal.

Shops won't rebuild them any more because of liablity.

I have rebuilt hundreds of wheel cylinders and >99% didn't leak.

Oh, ok. Well, I just ordered a total cylinder from man-a-fre. I'll see if it fits. I'll go ahead and get the cheap kit from napa, that doesn't work, might get the kit from CDan. Anyway. Thanks everyone.

CDan, Poser, or anybody else . . . . do you know if there's a cross-referenced identical bolt-in new replacement (for ANY other type of vehicle) to replace this wheel cylinder that's no longer available for the FJ25??

As mentioned above, I suspect the cylinders have become bored out too much over the years to let the specified 1" cup seal properly anymore. Would a larger cup do the trick, and if so, what slightly larger sizes are available? 1 1/16"?
finished.JPG

Last edited:
JC39232--- Stop! That is I hope you can stop! Brakes are nothing to mess around with.

Go have your drums turned... all of them. Make sure they meet the minimum spec for thickness. Your shop you take them to will knot know what that is so you'll need to tell them. My FSM is in the garage otherwise I'd post it here.

Second, doing one wheel at a time, renew all the springs, clips etc. SOR, MAF, CCOT has replacments. While in there, scrape all the gunk off, wire brush the rust and spray a little paint in there.

Third, dissassemble your cylinders per FSM and clean them up. If they do not pass the FSM test, stick them in a box and get NEW brake cylinders.

Put everything back together and adjust per FSM. Go to the next wheel.

Your life may depend on it. Oh, if you are driving around me and mine, our lives depend on it too, Do a complete job your cruiser will thank you for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom