Wheel Bearings - Repacking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am in the process of replacing front discs on my 1980 (early 80) FJ40 and am planning on repacking front bearings while I am there. My manual has not yet come in so I would appreciate it if you guys could verify the wheel bearing torque procedure I found doing a search. I also need a couple extra torque settings. Here is the procedure I found...is it correct for my vehicle?

1. With just the adjusting nut (inner nut) installed tighten to 43 foot pounds, turn hub 3 revolutions
2. Repeat step 1
3. Loosed the nut to hand tight, do not turn hub
4. Tighten adjusting nut to 48 in-lbs, turn hub 3 revolutions
5. Back off adjusting nut about 1 flat (60degrees) do not turn hub
6. Put in lock washer and jam nut, tighten jam nut to 47 foot pounds, turn hub 3 revolutions

**Question 1) when tightening jam nut do I need to hold the inner nut with a screwdriver to prevent it from turning as well?

**Question 2) What is the torque spec for the bolts that hold the front rotor to hub?

**Question 3) What is the torque spec for the front caliper bolts?

**Question 4) What is the torque spec for wheel lugs

**Question 5) When repacking bearings/hub, I always fill the hub with grease to the diameter of the inner wheen bearing....is this correct?

thanks in advance...

r62109 said:
1. With just the adjusting nut (inner nut) installed tighten to 43 foot pounds, turn hub 3 revolutions
2. Repeat step 1
3. Loosed the nut to hand tight, do not turn hub
4. Tighten adjusting nut to 48 in-lbs, turn hub 3 revolutions
5. Back off adjusting nut about 1 flat (60degrees) do not turn hub
6. Put in lock washer and jam nut, tighten jam nut to 47 foot pounds, turn hub 3 revolutions

Not exactly how I do it but I suppose it works

r62109 said:
**Question 1) when tightening jam nut do I need to hold the inner nut with a screwdriver to prevent it from turning as well?

No, the lockwasher will keep it from turning, it's got a tab on it that fits the slot in the spindle

r62109 said:
**Question 2) What is the torque spec for the bolts that hold the front rotor to hub?

29-39 ft/lbs

r62109 said:
**Question 3) What is the torque spec for the front caliper bolts?

55 - 75 ft/lbs

r62109 said:
**Question 4) What is the torque spec for wheel lugs?

**Question 5) When repacking bearings/hub, I always fill the hub with grease to the diameter of the inner wheen bearing....is this correct?

thanks in advance...

Thanks for the info....if you have a method that may work better let me know..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom